not pc question,but a tech question nonetheless

denis93c 01:58 28 Jan 04

i have analogue ntl cable tv and an ordinary wide-screen tv.
i have seen the free view digi boxes in the shops for around £50.
do i need to have a digital tv,or in my case digital ntl box,to make the free view work,or is it just plug and play?

ton 02:38 28 Jan 04

Normal TV set. Freeview is through an aerial.

jakimo 03:12 28 Jan 04

browse click here

jakimo 03:14 28 Jan 04
  Tog 07:10 28 Jan 04

Make sure it's available in your area first. It isn't as widespread as they make out, as I keep finding out after every house move over the last decade. You can check using your postcode here.

click here

Stuartli 08:33 28 Jan 04

Make sure you get a Freeview box if you go ahead that has two Scart sockets, otherwise you will have problems connecting a VCR, DVD etc.

The postcode is only a guide to whether you can receive Freeview - I live just 15 miles from Winter Hill and can see it from the end of the road.

Yet in some streets in the town it's possible to receive Freeview channels in most of the houses and not in others..:-)

You will also, mostly likely, need to install a wideband aerial if you don't already have one; narrowband aerials tend to miss out the middle range of the available channels.

More info at click here and also on the BBC's website.

canard 13:02 28 Jan 04

Can you borrow a box to try it out? My daughter should not be able to get it whilst my son should have wonderful but his reception is not as good as hers. Also we found that different boxes on same site gave different results.So make sure you can exchange/money back if you buy a freeview box that's unsatisfactory.We found the Dabs Humax boxes worked best [tried Phillips and Goodmans too]. The more expensive Humax was well worth the extra.There are several recant exhaustive threads in Consumerwatch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…