not PC..but the phone call...a scam???

Ikelos 14:52 07 May 06

hi, we have all had the phone call where they say you have won 500 trips around the world, first class with a £million spending money, to hear more press 9...

anyway, the phone has just rung, with the operator saying, you have a reverse charge call, to accept the call, say yes.... is this another scam, I rang my kids to see if they had tried to get in touch, and,no, they had not...wondering if this was a new one?.

thanks

johnnyrocker 14:55 07 May 06

yes it is a scam variation of a pretty well known scam in the past, ask the operator what the number was and you might be able to get it shut down.

johnny.

Ikelos 14:57 07 May 06

the operator sounded like it was automated.

johnnyrocker 15:08 07 May 06

good job you did not hit 9 then

johnny.

pj123 15:39 07 May 06

I've got the answer. I don't answer my phone.

Unless I get a special "ring pattern" which I have set up and only tell family and friends who I will answer the phone to.

Works a treat.

I am registered with TPS but of course it doesn't stop every call.

Stuartli 15:44 07 May 06

>>I am registered with TPS but of course it doesn't stop every call.>>

So am I but, as we've discovered, for obvious reasons it doesn't work for calls from abroad or those who ignore TPS and withhold the number...:-(

compumac 15:51 07 May 06

Pressing 9 would have connected you to a premium call line.

Ikelos 15:55 07 May 06

this one wanted me to say "yes" to accept the call...

The Spires 16:27 07 May 06

I have had premium rate calls barred.

€dstowe 16:36 07 May 06

With genuine collect calls the operator must identify the caller to you before you agree to accept the charges and only then are you connected

spuds 16:50 07 May 06

Never ever press 9 on receipt of one of these calls. It will redirect your call to a server unit, possibly mainland China, which will result in a very heavy telephone bill.

If you have 'children' in the house, and have a BT line, then contact BT and have call baring installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…