Not Happy with Internet

ninky4 09:58 08 Nov 03

I have just received my phone bill to find several calls to 090 numbers which I have not made. I contacted the company and was told that someone had accessed my phone number over the internet. How can this be done and how do I go about not having to pay the ?72 bill they have run up as I am on pension this is a lot of money to find, I was assured that the internet was safe to use but it does not appear so.

eddie937 10:05 08 Nov 03

i dont think anyone in this forum should tell you how it is done as it is illegal.i am sorry i dont know how you can get your money back.
eddie

Rtus 10:18 08 Nov 03

I dont Know who your telecoms company is But suggest you offer to pay only that part of the bill that you are liable for..untill its sorted out..You can also have call barring added to your line (blocking all premium /international/national Numbers) If you require to dial these you use a code thats specific to you ..then make the call .Attempting call without the code simply ends the dial in...any attempt to dial via an ISP should be on record.. insist they contact relevent bodies to look into this..

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:21 08 Nov 03

It is unlikely that you would have your number hacked over the net and the advice you were given is pants. You more likely have inadvertently downloaded a dialler which will be phoning in the background.

Go to click here and download SPYBOT and also download the free version of ADAWARE from click here. You can also empty ALL the contents of your Temp, Temp Internet and cookie files and then have a look in C-programme files and delete anything that is titled 'dialer' or xxx dialer (check them first too see if they are rogue diallers.

G

Rtus 10:22 08 Nov 03

were these numbers dialed as result of virus infection ..

Forum Editor 10:33 08 Nov 03

as though you've got a dialer installed somewhere, as the others have said. This will have installed via an ActiveX script, which came from a web site you've visited at some point.

The phone company will not usually allow you to deduct the cost of these calls from your bill, as of course they only have your word for it that you didn't dial them yourself, although it's well worth a try.

Apart from following GANDALF <|:-)>'s advice I suggest that you go to tools in Internet explorer and select Internet options. Then click the security tab and make sure the slider is set to 'Medium', This will stop any unsigned ActiveX scripts from running.

Rtus 10:49 08 Nov 03

My point here is If the company concerned can say > that someone had accessed my phone number over the internet.< then they are also aware of the backround dialer. Which is as far as Im aware Fraudulent use of someone elses line..They must also Be insured for such events .. I may be wrong there though..

Rtus 11:05 08 Nov 03
  Kudu 11:31 08 Nov 03

A few years ago i had a always on dialup connection to the internet and ended up with a 400 pounds sterling bill.Virgin said it was nothing to do with them and BT said the no. was dialled from my computer and sent the paperwork to prove it.After much song and dance i ended up paying and consequently i was a very infrequent visitor to my local pub for a long time.To this day i still have no idea how this happened.

ninky4 13:41 08 Nov 03

Thanks to all who have tried to help. I don't know how it got on because my internet connection is and always has been set to medium. I had a virus a few weeks ago and had my hard drive wiped so if there was a dialer on it has gone and I have blocked all 090 numbers with Saga so if the lousy swine try again they will have to find some other poor soul.

tbh72 14:04 08 Nov 03

The most effective way, as has already been pointed out is to get premium rate numbers BARRED.

Since having ADSL I have removed my modem, removing your modem is only advisable if A) you dont use your PC as a fax, B) you don't require dial up access to your ISP for any reason.

Since removing my modem, dialers have not been a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…