Not enought memory??

shortcircuit 08:34 15 Oct 03

Hi all. A friends computer (tiny!!) keeps saying that it does not have enough memory to run games etc. She have plenty of HHD space and 256RAM. It is a 1800xp athlon and runs Xp.

Any ideas??

Also. I have got a dvd burner which uses DVD- and DVD+. Which is the best type to use?

Thanks All.

Dave

Jester2K II 08:59 15 Oct 03

Whats the EXACT message and which games?

graham√ 09:00 15 Oct 03

This from XP Help and Support

Managing computer memory
When your computer is running low on RAM and more is needed immediately, Windows uses hard drive space to simulate system RAM. This is known as virtual memory, and is often called the paging file. This is similar to the UNIX swapfile. The default size of the virtual memory pagefile (named pagefile.sys) created during installation is 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your computer.

If your friend looks in Help there is more info.

I'm not a gaming expert, but 256 Ram is a little low.

MichelleC 09:04 15 Oct 03

See which are the biggest resource drainers running in b/g in Task manager and disable. It may be some games require 3d graphics card or more memory allocated to onboard card (which you can change in bios for some mobos).

This link gives you info on dvd types click here

shortcircuit 09:08 15 Oct 03

Thanks all. I'll have a try at that today and see how I GET ON.

Bruce_Lee 09:13 15 Oct 03

Both DVD- and DVD+ have their advantages and disadvantages. For example DVD+ is slightly faster with some drives offering an 8x burn rate!
You can read more on this subject if you click here
and you can read a comparison and review of different DVD writers if you click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…