not enough usb's

caterpilla 23:37 02 Jan 04

i wonder if any one is able to enlighten me?
because my new computer broke down i had to buy a lap top to do my work for uni. my problem is that there is not enough usb ports to plug in my printer and my exterior modem, its one or the other, which is a pain every time i want to print(i bought a pcmcia modem 1st but wasnt comptabl). so i bought a 7.5volt 4 port hub, as advised by pc world man, however this hub although letting me set up the printer (found new device)when i ask it to print it says it cannot contact the printer, the same is so for the modem, cant hear dial tone. has any one got any advise please

canard 00:29 03 Jan 04

All I know is that it takes ages to fiddle an external modem into useful activity. Check which port it's installed itself on and experimenting with changing the port might fix it. This MAY apply to the printer port too.

caterpilla 14:59 03 Jan 04

the modem and printer work already as long as i only use the single usb2 port on the back of my l,top but when i plug in the hub and try !!!! you know the rest

woodchip 15:12 03 Jan 04

Have you loaded the correct drivers for the USB hub. They will not be on the Windows disc

woodchip 15:15 03 Jan 04

PS go into Device Manager and look for yellow Exlamaion marks and remove them then befor you restart put the USB cd in the comp and run the setup file. For D/M Go to My Computer right click go to Properties

caterpilla 15:16 03 Jan 04

i am a bit computer backward!! what do you mean drivers

woodchip 15:24 03 Jan 04

When you got the Hub from PC world there should have been a disc with it floppy or CD on that there are drivers that make the usb Hub work with your computer it lets the Hub communicate with it. without the proper drivers it will not work. if you do what I said above my second post it should work. if it asks for Windows disc first do not put it in you should put the disc in supplied with the Hub and navigate to the Win9 driver folder on the disc

caterpilla 15:38 03 Jan 04

no discs came with the hub cd or floppy

woodchip 15:42 03 Jan 04

Did you check the Dvice Manager for yellow marks as above if so did you remove the item. thats the first thing you need to do then restart your computer

caterpilla 15:47 03 Jan 04

found task manager but how do i get into device mangr?

leo49 15:47 03 Jan 04

When you say 7.5volt 4 port hub,do you mean that the USB hub is powered and has it's own mains electric plug?

I'm assuming we're talking External hub here - woodchip is maybe talking internal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…