" not enough free memory" message ?????

JUSZO 17:45 08 Feb 03

Hi there.
Keep getting this message on my screen, and it says "it is unable to open the program selected. Close down some programs and try again."
Trouble is, sometimes there is virtually nothing else running at the time the message comes up.
My system is an AMD Athlon 1GHZ, so while not as fast as some, it certainly isn't THAT old. I have 512Mb of RAM installed.
Can anyone explain why it is doing this, or even better give me some ideas on what I can do to remedy it?
thanks

leo49 17:51 08 Feb 03

Could well be a corrupted Word normal.dot - these are the usual symptoms. Find Normal.dot,rename it and Word will create a new one and hopefully you'll be back to normal.

Regards

JUSZO 18:04 08 Feb 03

Er....leo49....I'm a bit of a computer novice.I'm afraid I don't quite understand.
At the risk of sounding like a complete duffer, any chance you can tell me again in easier, step by step type language.
When i go into system settings, on control panel, it says that I only have 25% of system resources unused but i'm not sure how this is made up. The ammount of RAM is displayed on screen and never falls below half of whats available, and my hard drives are only about 50% used...any chance you can help pal?

AndySD 18:06 08 Feb 03

Go Start choose Run type in

msconfig

and click OK

Now choose the Startup tab

click here and untick anything Not required

AndySD 18:07 08 Feb 03

What is your Operating System?

JUSZO 18:09 08 Feb 03

Windows ME

AndySD 18:13 08 Feb 03

click here explains it a bit more.

JUSZO 18:19 08 Feb 03

Thanx...will try it now....much appreciated.
Justin

leo49 18:29 08 Feb 03

Assuming you've got Word installed,find Normal.dot by clicking Start/Search/Files and Folders... . Navigate to its location,rightclick and select rename [call it abnormal.dot].Do a restart and should be OK - if it isn't we'll have another think.

Regards

JUSZO 19:02 08 Feb 03

Yep....i'm okay now. thanks a lot for your time and expertise guys.
I am in your debt...

justin

leo49 19:03 08 Feb 03

Wot worked???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…