Not allowing certain Software to Instal or Run

mcheathen 02:19 22 Feb 09

My new PC still runs on XP like my old one, but some programs wont run at all after being installed and some wont even run at all.

In just about every case the hour glass shows and the PC freezes. So I then need to press reset button.

I have a set of these DK Eyewitness educational programs. Most of then will intal but wont run, because they say that 'sound decompression software failed to load'. One of them said that it would not run because my computer is not compatable with 256 colours. This was despite the fact that I went to control panel, display and set it to 256 colours.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:01 22 Feb 09

Sounds like old programs.

Try installing them using compatibility mode.
click here

mcheathen 16:16 22 Feb 09

Yes, some may well be old progs, but they mever needed compatibility mode when running on my old computer. Which I already stated was run on XP. Most of the progs are actually relatively new and state that they can run on XP.

BTW I've recently noticed that the PC freezes whenever I click on the NVIDIA control panel.

rdave13 16:22 22 Feb 09

Have you installed a burning software recently or any other program before this happened? Try a system restore if you have restore points.

mcheathen 16:39 22 Feb 09

No, I have not installed any 'burning software'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…