Nortons Anti Virus - live update probs

michelleuk 22:26 19 Jan 03
  michelleuk 22:26 19 Jan 03

Hi,

I have Nortons Anti Virus programme 2000 I am paying for the updates etc. I have it set for automatic live updates and for it to be done without interupting me. Yet I constantly have problems with the live updates.

It appears to go through the motions of getting the updates, but when I check to see the date of the updates, it is never what it should be. I then click the live update button and attempt to update it manually. It asks me whether I want, definitions, NV 2001, and or live reg, I de tick the live reg and NV2001. If I am lucky it will update my definitions, more often though it tells me it was unable to update my system.

I have followed NV advice from their site, and i still have the problem. Normally after a few attempts it will update, or I have to go to NV website and update there.

Does anyone else have this sort of problem, if so what have you done to rectify it. As I would like the update to happen without me having to stop what I am doing and doing the check myself. It would appear to be a common problem as NV does have quite a large section on it, but none of which have helped. So I end up updating manually myself. Any help appreaciated

Take Care
Michelle:-)
click here (my own site)

Lozzy 22:30 19 Jan 03

Have you downloaded the latest Live-Update program from Norton.. Try that if that does not work my recommendation would be update your Virus scanners engine.. That Means buying Norton 2003..
You have to update the virus engine as well the NAV's in order to keep perfectly safe

Lozzy 22:38 19 Jan 03

click here for new version of Live Update

jazzypop 22:41 19 Jan 03

Your problem stems from the fact that you are un-ticking the Live Update and NV2001. Tick them, and all should be well again.

Stuartli 22:55 19 Jan 03

I have NAV 2001 and the LiveUpdate link - it makes all the checks and completes any updates in a very short space of time even with a dial-up setup.

When I first used it after installing NAV 2001 over my previous version, however, it took about a week of my daily checks not to go through the checking subscription procedure. This took about five or six minutes every time..:-)

Eventually it stopped the subscription check and ran as anticipated.

BRYNIT 22:55 19 Jan 03

Today I have had the same problem, liveupdate keeps down loading virus definitions. In Norton it still shows definitions require. Manually down load file and then installed. It may be OK tomorrow.
Maybe they are saying the our versions are outdated even though mine is 2003. I may update to new version.

BRYNIT 22:56 19 Jan 03

ment to say my version is 2002 not 2003

Giggle n' Bits 00:18 20 Jan 03

Internet options - Security tab:-
You need to lower all zones to low if you have this problem, if you have some other sort of 3rd part firewall protection this also can cause the problem your having.

Make sure all Norton AV settings are set at default and Norton Protection is "Enabled" then connect open Norton then click live update and just let it follow the process.

If your subs are out of date it will kick you out if you have attempted to get updates and not update you subs.

Please tick your postings with the Green Tick Michelle when sorted.

michelleuk 18:18 20 Jan 03

Hi,

Thank you all, I have tried a number of the suggestions made. I shall look at purchasing a newer version, but I have updated live update when I keep all 3 items ticked it still doesn't work. I have lowered my internet security in IE and I have disabled my firewall and the problems remain. The annoying thing is it will not work when its done automatically, and when I do it manually its 50 50. Furthermore, I can try once and if it doesn't work and I say try again in 5mins it will work. Also if I am on their website it will work.

Thanks anyway I have copied all responses so I can double check all the recomendations to ensure I have tried what you have all kindly suggested.

Thank you - I'll post again ,next time it doesn't work with more details of the process I use, because I may be doing something wrong. I'll write my step by step and you can point out where I am going wrong.

Thanks
Take Care
Michelle:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now