Norton /Work Suite problem.

curlylad 18:30 02 Feb 04

A friend of mine has not long bought a second hand system running Win98SE.
Out of the blue he gets a long error message on start up that tells him Norton Antivirus has interfered with his attempted installation of Work Suite 2003.The error messagaes are C:\PROGRA"1\SYMANTEC\SYMEVNT.386 and C:\PROGRA"1\NORTON"1\NAVAP.VXD .
I have tried the microsoft support site and it gives you the remedy to the problem but you need the Work Suite 2003 CD-ROM for it to work.
Firstly he does not have the Work Suite 2003 CD-ROM , and also he doesn't have Norton AntiVirus installed. I had a look in the add/remove programs for any trace of Norton and it is there but it will not let you remove it, when you try it gives an invalid path message.Also it will not let him access the Internet , so what do we do ?

PS To understand better what I amrefering to goto question 331086 on hhtp://support.microsoft.com

All help gratefully accepted as always.

VoG II 18:38 02 Feb 04

Try the uninstall tool click here

VoG II 18:40 02 Feb 04

Also click here

curlylad 00:32 03 Feb 04

Thanks , but the links you gave either point toward removal from 'Add/remove program' route or via Internet.I cannot gain access to the Internet and I cannot remove Norton via Add/remove programs , when I try to remove this way it looks like it has performed the task and when you look back in the Add/remove section again the Norton is still there.I think this one is a major problem so I need the brains of the upper echilon to pursuade my friend to use this site in future , thanks for trying VoG !

smegs 01:01 03 Feb 04

click here click here have a look at these.

curlylad 10:15 03 Feb 04

Firstly VoG , I've just read back over the posting I made in reply to your suggestions , and it looks very much like I'm saying that I need 'brainier' computer buffs than yourself.
Sorry , I didn't mean it that way at all , I simply meant that you are the upper echilon and I needed people like yourself to assist me , so I apologise if you thought I was slighting your technical abilities.
smegs.
Thanks for the links , we are no longer getting the error messages on start up.However , I just had a gander in the 'Add/remove programs' , and found Norton is still listed as a program.When I tried to delete it , it went into the uninstall shield and I got this message 'Unable to locate the installation log file C:\Program Files\Norton\AntiVirus\nav95.isu .Uninstallation will not continue.How do I now remove this from the program files?

VoG II 12:50 03 Feb 04

No problem.

Can't you download the uninstall tool (348 KB) onto a floppy using your 'puter, then run it on the other machine?

smegs 16:24 03 Feb 04

Vog, Could Curlylad go into REGEDIT and try to delete it from there? Doesn't sound like he wants to try the Uninstall program.

curlylad 22:39 03 Feb 04

Thanks VoG , simple yet brilliant .It just never occured to me to download onto a floppy.Any road up I did so and we now have lift off , again thanks for your help , yours too smegs .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…