Norton vs AVG

denali 17:27 05 Aug 04

I have only been on XP for one week without a hitch. Last evening, to my shame, I went to another PC forum just to have a look (I assume this forum's protocol forbids naming) After appx. 10 minutes I got a big red virus alert on screen. I agreed to removing, but Norton came back and said they could not. The virus alert stayed on my screen and I had to remove it by re-booting. I went to live - update but there were none. Fortunately I had kept AVG and got it to check. It found the virus after a few minutes and removed it in seconds. When I installed XP my family bought me the whole Norton package, System works, Utilities,anti-virus and internet security.
My question is simple enough. Shall I get rid of it all and just keep AVG and Ad-aware?
The virus was a worm W32.Jeefo

JoeC 17:50 05 Aug 04

This has been known - according to Symantec - since June 2003. Also according to them, removal is easy:-

" Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
Update the virus definitions.
Restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode.
Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as W32.Jeefo.
Delete the value that was added to the registry (Windows 95/98/Me } "

I take it your AV was bang up to date ??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:57 05 Aug 04

Just type Norton into search box to see hw many peole are having problemswith this AV.

Plus all the other threads where removing Norton firewall and installing ZA has cured thier fault

Dan the Confused 19:29 05 Aug 04

You only need to remove the bits of Norton you don't want. I would keep Norton Utils as it is very useful to have.

sattman 20:13 05 Aug 04

Look at what the independant say

click here

Scouter 22:26 05 Aug 04

I stopped using Norton and Norton Utilities in 2000 - transferred to AVG for antivirus, Zone Alarm for Firewall and have not regretted choice. I use diskkeepr to defrag my HD and Reg Cleaner to clean the registry - although that is now rarely used as I have settled on the programmes I wish to use. As others have said you pays your money - you takes your choice. I like AVG and Zone Alarm so much I dropped the free versions and purchased the full blown versions.

denali 14:16 07 Aug 04

Thank you all for your interest in my problem.
Having read all I could find on Norton I have decided to stay with it for a while. I found some interesting topics to read and it appears the concensus is Norton has deteriorated since it changed hands. Does this mean they were bought by someone or they bought someone out?

livewire 15:16 07 Aug 04

Personally, I love the Norton Line.

I have been using the Norton Series of Anti-virus products for 6 years. I am very pleased with NIS 2004 and I personnally belive that it excels much better than rival McAfee.

AVG, is an excellent free alterantive but for much better protection your really need to take the line of a paid product. Stick with Norton it has benifited me greatly in the past. Also conider installing Prevx (click here)

georgemac 16:04 07 Aug 04

I had norton utilities a few years ago and it trashed my 98se machine. It embedded itself so deeply into the system that it was impossible to remove. I decided then I would never use it again, unless it got stunning reviews which it ain't.

I've been using AVG for 1 to 2 years, with sygate firewall, adaware, spywareblaster, and spybot and I have had very little problems. I have had the occassional trojan but nothing that was hard to deal with.

I have also been using the beta of Prevx for a while and am impressed.

Also always visit windows updates regularly & install the critical updates.

I also like Steve Gibson's site click here and have had shootthemessenger, dccom and UnpnP installed for ages, and use shields up to test the firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now