Norton A/V Problem On XP Security Panel

peter99co 10:43 25 Jul 08

We have an XP machine which show that Norton is active and up to date. This is the indication on Windows Security Via Control Panel.

This is not true because we uninstalled Norton and used Norton Clean up tool to do it.

I think someone gave a solution to this but I cannot find the thread. It needed a registry tweek. Can you post again please?

NB the Windows Security shows Firewall active,Norton active and Auto update Enabled.

We have AVG 8 installed and find this is doing the job of protecting the machine very well.

I have attempted to search for Norton but seem unable to pin the problem down.

rdave13 11:20 25 Jul 08

Try this; click here

peter99co 12:00 25 Jul 08

That looks as if it would work. Thank you very much. I will post back later because the machine is not available to me yet. (different location)

Can anyone else support this option? I hate to dig bigger holes.

rdave13. Not that I suspect/not trust your suggestion, I just I find my-self very careful these days.

rdave13 12:06 25 Jul 08

That's fine. Used it myself when I uninstalled Comodo firewall. Security center was still showing the firewall running.
There is another thread here (which I can't find) that shows how to do it through the command prompt.

peter99co 21:51 25 Jul 08

Thanks again. I trust you and will give it a go.
(not my machine so have to be extra careful.)

rdave13 23:46 25 Jul 08

Here is a link for the same problem in Vista but is virtually the same as XP. It suggests creating a restore point first. (I didn't but it was my PC.); click here

peter99co 10:33 26 Jul 08

I will post again when job is done. Couple of weeks away. Thanks for info!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…