Norton Utilities; uninstallation

VCR97 20:01 10 Dec 04

I have just uninstalled Norton Utilities 2002. Just after the uninstallation began I received a warning "Failed to unregister file types". The only option was OK. I clicked that and the uninstallation appears to have completed. (Search finds no trace and I ran CCleaner.) What does that message mean and what was I supposed to do about it?

Diodorus Siculus 20:28 10 Dec 04

"Failed to unregister file types" - as far as I know, when windows starts, each file type gets "registered" - some process or other is linked to it. When you reboot it should "unregister" them.

I may be well off the mark but that is how it was once explained to me. :-)

VCR97 20:56 10 Dec 04

I have rebooted so that has probably taken care of the problem.

GaT7 22:15 10 Dec 04

I've just done a search on the Symantec knowledgebase [click here] for you & this is what I found. You may have to follow them if you need to remove ALL traces:

For Windows 9x/Me: How to manually uninstall Norton Utilities 2002 - click here

For Windows NT/2000/XP: How to manually uninstall Norton Utilities 2002 - click here

If you PC appears to be running well I suggest to leave well alone. On the other hand, if you're having some problems & are confident of working in the registry, then have a go - just obey all the safeguards about backing-up the registry, etc. mentioned in the above links. G

VCR97 18:53 11 Dec 04

You are obviously better than I am at navigating Symantec's KB. I'll have a go at all that tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…