Norton Upgrade problem??

juliejm 18:17 12 May 09

I have a fairly new HP Laptop (vista) which has always started up very quickly. Last week I got a message from Norton offering me an update on my 2009 version, which I installed. Since then I have found that once my laptop boots up the vista welcome screen comes on and then the screen goes black with only the cursor showing, it stays like this for a few minutes before it eventually starts up.

I decided to restore the system to before the Norton upgrade only to find that restore points had been turned off and none had ever been made. My previous machines have always made restore points automatically.

Apart from uninstalling Norton totally (I have already used up the 3 lives on the CD and I am only assuming that Norton is the problem), can anyone suggest how I can restore the machine to before the upgrade? Is this a known problem?

birdface 18:24 12 May 09

Run system restore in safe mode.Or download the Norton removal tool use that then reinstall it.

birdface 18:36 12 May 09

click here its things like that that put folk of of using Norton.

"I have already used up the 3 lives on the CD " if you have a valid subscription you can reinstall as many times as you like. you can download, from their site, if you registered you will have an account, in that account will be download links. so register if you havnt.
uninstall and other resident scanner from any other security application.
if you go on any antivirus support site, you will find blue screens, slow boot, performance issues, these are usually caused by running more than one scanner, which nowadays, with hips etc, simply wont work, not very well anyway. good luck.

citadel 20:59 12 May 09

I had a similar problem cased by a program, not norton, fixed by repairing vista start up. I have a vista cd, don't know how you do it without one.

juliejm 20:38 13 May 09

Thanks Buteman, Adman 2 and Citadel for all your advice and recommendations yesterday.

I have now had a complete uninstall of Norton Internet Security2009 and re-installed 2008 again. (I have used Norton for about 10 years without a problem, so I thought I would give it a second chance).

Hope I am not speaking too soon, but it seems to be OK for now. If the problem re-occurs I will have to consider my options again.

Thanks again everyone

citadel 20:48 13 May 09

It's a shame 2009 did not install properly as it is very good and hardly uses any system resources.
when upgrading I buy an oem norton disc, these are cheap and auto uninstall the older version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…