Norton Update prevents OE connecting

gorgon 23:42 18 Jan 06

I have W2K and I have had Norton Internet Security for a long time without any problems. But today 18-01-06 I have updated as usual, with no apparent problems

Following the update I have noticed that Outlook Express spends over 60 seconds trying to connect to the server and fails to connect and that when I disable Norton prior to using OE I can access the server right away

I have also noted that when I shut down the computer has to end Norton and even after Norton has been ended the screen remains the same without any changes and eventually I unplug at the wall.
When I disable Norton prior to shutting down the computer shuts down normally in no time at all

Questions

Pease could you suggest an alternative to Norton Internet Security with links

Please the best way to uninstall Norton

And anyone has experienced this problem? If you have and it has been reported forgive my ignorance and I will join you where directed

Thanks to all for any help you may provide

sylward 00:23 19 Jan 06

Hiya Gorgon,
I too have the same problem twice a year or so,the best thin to do is re-set the Norton firewall to default.
Just do this,
To reset the firewall rules for Internet-enabled programs

1. Start Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall.
2. In the main program window, double-click Personal Firewall.
3. On the Programs tab, make sure that Turn on Automatic Program Control is checked.
4. Click the first item in the Manual Program Control list.
5. On your keyboard, press Ctrl+A to select all of the program rules.
6. Click Remove.
If you see a warning message, click Yes to remove the rules.
7. Click OK to close the Program Control window.
8. Run LiveUpdate, and download all available updates.
For details on how to run LiveUpdate, see the document How to run LiveUpdate.
9. Run a Program Scan to re-create your program rules list.
For details on how to run a program scan, read the document Scanning for Internet-enabled programs in Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall.

It will work fine from then on,
Eddie.

gorgon 13:02 19 Jan 06

Hi sylward

Thank you It is working fine now.
You are top of the class
Thanks

sylward 22:55 20 Jan 06

You're welcome Gorgon,but please don't disable N I S and open OE again,if you have any problems call on us that's what we are here for,good luck Ed.

Danoh 02:31 21 Jan 06

I have a similar issue but with Outlook 2003 running as client, connecting via HTTPs with Exchange Server 2003.

The timing of the issue was immediately after the Outlook 2003 (and OE) critical update last week. When I roll-back and install all other critical updates apart from that for Outlook, everything works as before.

This week, I’ve had direct support from an MS engineer who continues to build test labs to try to replicate my issue. No clear confirmation yet, but he will resume on Monday (US time).

But you have given me another potential contributory aspect which I will try. Thank you for posting!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017