Norton Uninstall

milkybarkid 21:19 03 Oct 05

A pal has PC not very old from PC ...... World. It had the usual 3 month trial of Norton Internet Security 2005 on it. Rather than pay an online subscription to renew, we were able to get hold of a pucker copy for half the online price. However, there is no uninstall facility, either in the programme or add/remove programes. I found on the Symantec web-pages 'Removing your Norton program using SymNRT' and ran this but still cannot delete it. I have told my neighbour to take it back to PC World and tell them to sort it, as to my view they should not have sold him a PC with an Anti-Virus programme, or any other programme for that matter, that he cannot uninstall!
Any ideas/opinions.

citadel 21:45 03 Oct 05

Are there no instructions on the symantec website for manual removal.

VoG II 21:47 03 Oct 05

What exactly happened when you tried to run the SymNRT program?

Number 7 21:55 03 Oct 05

I'm not 100% sure on this, but you should be able to activate the trial version without having to part with any money.

Once it's activated, it should appear in the list of Add/Remove Programs and you can uninstall it.

milkybarkid 22:00 03 Oct 05

Yes the Symantec website does give instructions for manual removal. You download a programme and you are supposed to run it to unistall Norton. It didn't work!
The trial version has been activated since the purchase of the PC and now it is asking for a subscription.

VoG II 22:01 03 Oct 05

What exactly happened?

milkybarkid 22:05 03 Oct 05

Some sort of message about being logged on as Supervisor. The point I havn't got time to spend going deaply into the prob. Surely PC World should sort this as they put the bloody prog. on the PC?

VoG II 22:13 03 Oct 05
  milkybarkid 22:15 03 Oct 05

Thanks VOG. Will keep it up my sleeve if PC World refuse to deal with the matter.

GaT7 22:22 03 Oct 05

milkybarkid, unfortunately most computer companies wash their hands off when it comes to dealing with software problems - no harm in asking though. Tell us how it goes. G

milkybarkid 22:24 03 Oct 05

Will do!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…