Norton Sytem Works 2003

Andsome 10:15 07 Nov 04

I have Norton System Works set for automatic live update, and this has operated several times in the last week, as the idiot virus writers must have been busy. This morning the little lantern bottom right of the screen started to flash, and went on for some time. I thought that this must be an unusually large download. When it was still flashing about ten minutes later I decided to double click it. A window told me that updates were available and did I want to download them. It was indeed a larger than usual download, and required a reboot and second visit for a further download. My configuration is still set for automatic update. I have never had this happen before, the program just gets on and does what it wants to without my intervention. No problems as far as I am concerned, but I just wondered if anyone else had this happen.

bremner 12:09 07 Nov 04

Yes

It seems the WMI update is big and requires a reboot - had the same on three machines in the alst few days.

Andsome 12:23 07 Nov 04

The thing that puzzled me was that I was first asked if I wanted to download and install. Normally it happens automatically.

feb 14:04 07 Nov 04

Hi Andsome

Could the update have been for parental controls? This is set to notify you before dowloading by default.

Andsome 14:38 07 Nov 04

[Could the update have been for parental controls? This is set to notify you before dowloading by default.]

I don't honestly know. I don't have any parental controls set.

feb 14:43 07 Nov 04

Open the security centre/Norton window, click options > internet security then the live update tab and parental controls are at the bottom

Andsome 15:01 07 Nov 04

No parental controls are set. I have never used them. All downloads until today have been automatic. There is no problem, I just wondered if I was alone with this phenomenon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…