Norton SystemWorks uninstall

DennisD 19:37 28 Aug 04

I'm read horror stories regarding uninstalling Norton SystemWorks 2003 & 2004 via XP's Add/Remove Programs. (Apparently it's very common to have the program uninstall partially & prevent the upgrade from installing correctly, & I understand that editing the registry is often the only solution.) I currently have SystemWorks 2003 Professional installed with Norton Antivirus 2003 bundled in with it. I'd like to eventually upgrade to a newer version, but I'm fearful of what might happen. I'm no techie, so I know to leave the registry alone. Symantec's support site acknowledges that there are problems, but the solution instructions are vague & contradicitory. I find this all amazing if you consider how many users have SystemWorks installed worldwide! Does anyone have any suggestions for someone like me regarding an easy, trouble-free uninstall of SystemWorks? Any advice is appreciated.

System info: Pentium 4 with XP Home SP1, 40 GB with 254 Mb memory, running Office 2003 Pro. & Roxio GoBack 3 Deluxe, among other stuff. Other installed Symantec items (installed separately from SystemWorks are Norton Personal Firewall 2003 & Norton Antispam 2004.

wallbash 21:36 28 Aug 04

Also will need this info in the very near future

so .... any experts willing to answer?

VoG II 21:46 28 Aug 04
  Peter 21:48 28 Aug 04

What will Norton SystemWorks 2004 provide that Norton SystemWorks 2003 doesn't and do you need it. If not don't upgrade; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This advice may not sound very helpful, but I find that only installing the software I really need saves a lot of problems.

Before you install anything, software or hardware, take a complete backup of the whole system so that when things go wrong you can get back to a working system.

Peter.

Strawballs 23:19 28 Aug 04

click here download and install this then remove leftover norton very easy to use. I have been using it for a couple of years now and it has never caused me any problems, and if it does it always makes a back up of any thing that is removed and is easy to restore.

Derek 06:37 29 Aug 04

I agree with DennisD, why change. I have 2003 and looked at 2004 in depth and find that it's not a costs effective exercise.
If you are going to proceed though, go into your Windows search, type in both Norton and Symantec individually and delete the entries one by one, leave the Files till last.

Derek 06:38 29 Aug 04

Sorry - I meant I agree with Peter.

denali 11:46 29 Aug 04

I had exactly the same problem myself a while ago and, like you, am too nervous to mess with the registry. I followed the link VoG™ posted and although it took a while it worked to perfection.I recommend this good mans advise

Purrfling 19:38 29 Aug 04

Try:
"click here"

(I have just expunged a corrupt Norton Internet Security 2004 installation for which the automatic uninstall failed and prevented any reinstall attempt; Norton actually have some very good help information on the long way round to uninstall:
"click here"
This equivalent help worked for me.
Truncate these URLs after ...pfdocs in order to search for other tasks.
I hope this works for you :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…