Norton Systemworks problems

Addie 12:47 28 Aug 04

I have been having problems with Norton Anti-virus ever since an update several weeks ago when the message came up reporting ‘NAV Autoprotect. Unable to initialise virus scanning engine database files’. The computer is unable to load the anti-virus software at start up creating a blue screen with red warning box informing that the anti-virus database isn’t working, and this appears twice on booting up. Although wary that I would have to search the Norton web pages without protection I gave it ago to find a solution to the problem but only found a similar error report for this after installing Norton. Having no success I decided to cut my losses and uninstall Norton altogether and start afresh. However, although the uninstall performed by Add/Remove programs seemed to be successful, I noticed that an icon remained on the taskbar, and using Search I found that a large amount of Norton remained on the hard drive. Further investigation revealed that all the folders remained although with differing amounts of information on them. Norton is no longer listed in the Add/Remove programs to uninstall it again from there and attempting to reinstall from the CD proved impossible. I know it is possible to edit the registry to remove errant programs although I am not sure how to do so and have had no luck in finding a book to guide me.
Can you make any suggestions as to how to proceed as I don’t like chancing my luck going onto the Internet without any protection for the computer at all but until I get rid of Norton off the PC I can’t put another anti-virus package on either.
Help please.
PS The computer runs Windows Me and the original version of Norton on the PC was 2003, updated via their website earlier this year.

VoG II 13:13 28 Aug 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…