Norton SystemWorks 2003 not loading correctly

Dunce 11:06 13 Aug 03

I have tried to load this programme onto a newly partitioned hard drive but cannot get it to load everything. Anti Virus Auto Protect will not show up in the system tray and e-mail scanning shows error. Have tried switching it on etc. but this does not work. Found a 6 page help article in Symantecs help section but my screens are not always the same as shown in the Norton document so that does not cure the problem.
Also in Utilities neither Disc Doctor or Win Doctor work.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the solution? An e-mail address for Norton Or Symantec would be nice, since if I phone them they want to charge me £18 to sort out a problem with their software.
If anyone from Symantec reads this please tell me how to talk to an engineer without it costing money since all I want is protection on my computer as I used to have.

With Systemworks, when it is all up and running well, it is a very good program (but dont get too carried away).

Unfortunatley, when things go wrong there are so many files and folders scattered around your system that it is a complete nightmare to get rid of them all. This, added with the fact that most of the files will load at startup means that even if and when you do find them you cannot delete them.

It drastic I know, but having had many problems with Systemworks I strongly suggest that a reinstall of Windows after a full format may be a sensible option, at least that way you know you have got rid of all the offending files and can reinstall your programs after systemworks with the AV turned off.

Sorry not to have any better advice.

PS...

I also had major problems installing cleansweep from the Norton CD - it would just hang and nothing would get the installation to complete. I got round this by copying the entire CD to a balnk disk and installing from that - beleive it or not it worked a treat (and still does, despite the original not working).

Dunce 12:50 16 Aug 03

Thankyou.

This problem only happened after a full format and reinstallation of Windows XP which I needed to do for other reasons. Prior to that everything worked fine. I will try your suggestion of making a copy disc and trying to load that. Is there a simple way to uninstall the SystemWorks completly as that was a major operation in itself. I had always been a fan of Norton but not any more. I have come to the point where I will buy somone elses product. Any suggestions?

Jean-Luc Picard 13:06 16 Aug 03

Try this click here= then reinstall. To be honest I tried this but never got it to work properly, however I was not attempting to do it from a fresh format.

JIM 13:19 16 Aug 03

Your symptoms gave me the impression that your drive was not fully formatted,but i am sure you know best. The link will give you the info on all uninstall methods for NORTONS.

click here=

Remember if you do a reformat again and follow Smiffy99 advice,you could do a check by running Nortons from the CD before install.At least you will see right away if problems still exsist.

Would also suggest you consider a custom install of nortons next time around as you are running Winxp.

Philip2 15:52 16 Aug 03

I had problem with Norton systemworks this is what i did when i could not use add and remove.
First i did a search for Norton and deleted these
Two i then did a search for Symantec and deleted these then clicked on my hardrive and deleted the Symantec folder then went to reg edit and deleted anythink with symantec and deleted this,take care here what you delete in my case it worked and i was able to install Norton Systemworks.
As i said it worked for me i could not say it would in your case but i took a gamble and it paid off.

Satmansq 15:53 16 Aug 03

I had a similar problem with Nortons, as well as other software, and believd that Nortons was at fault.

After many attempts i finally managed to install the software, and then purely by accident found that my problems were being caused by faulty CD drive.

Dont know if this is likely with your system but worth consideration.

Best of luck

Willow12 16:03 16 Aug 03

The link from Jean-Luc Picard is the only way to remove Norton SystemWorks 2003 if you only have part of the program installed but not enough for it to work properly. First of all delete in any way that you can anything with Norton in it, and then using the link follow the processes described carefully. It will take about 1/2 hour to do everything but it does work if followed properly. Once fully removed try installing again probably by taking Smithy99's advice and making a copy of the original and running it from that.

Willow12

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…