Norton System Works vs ???

foxman318 12:55 08 May 06

I have been running Norton SW for a few years now and have been appreciative about the various integral programmes it has to offer i.e. AntiVirus
Norton Utilities
Norton GoBack
CheckIt Diagnostics
System Optimizer

Norton SW 2006 has an icon in the sys tray that measures the integrity of my machine on boot-up. This can take several minutes and prevents me opening up other other programmes due to its high mem usage......likewise, its background scan will slow my system down. Come to think of it my machine runs slow most of the time. Am I right to blame Norton SW...Below is my PC Spec:

E Machines 590/790.
IM845G Motherboard.
Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz Processor.
2 GB RAM (DDR SDRAM) (184 Pin 333MHz PC2700 2.5v Unbuffered Non-ECC).
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 Graphic Card.
Hercules Sound Card.

OS Windows XP Home ver 2002 (Service Pack 2).
Norton System Works 2006.
Norton Fire wall 2006.
SpyWare Doctor.
XosftSpy.
Win Patrol.
SpyBot.

FireFox Browser.

It may be time for me to move on and I am hoping that forum members could illustrate other free/paid progs that could cover "all" that Norton SW has to offer.

TIA...........Fox

Genius1 13:10 08 May 06

I used to use Norton Internet Security 2005 and this slowed down my PCs performance drastically (my PC has a similar spec to yours). For this reason (it was becoming unbearably slow to open even the smallest of tasks) I switched to some of the free utilities recommended on this forum. I currently use AVG Antivirus, ZoneAlarm(firewall) and Microsoft Windows Defender (anti-spyware). So in answer to you question 'is Norton to blame' then I would say yes from my experience. As for other utilites that SystemWorks includes and their alternative counterparts, I'll leave that to other forum members!

stylehurst 14:24 08 May 06

Hi foxman
Like you I was a user of SW for many years (back to the days of NU ver 8 for DOS). Like you I have dumped it due to its high O/H; which meant i needed alternatives as follows:
Bit Defender for AV; Zone Alarm Pro for Firewall; Raxco Perfect Disk for defrag (much better than Norton): CCleaner & Regscrub; NTRegopt for optimising Registry; ERUNT for backing up Registry.
First 3 are purchased, remainder free.
Instead of GOBack I use Acronis TruImage & back up system & program files once a month

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:31 08 May 06

You can do it all for free and just as good if not better than Norton....AVG or Avast AV, any old free firewall, Windows Defender, common sense, Ccleaner and regscrub XP. No point in going OTT. These cost de nada and are all excellent apps. There is no or point or need for any home user to pay for any 'security' product. Using the above will keep you more than safe (esp. the common sense)

G

Totally-braindead 15:33 08 May 06

Agree with Gandalf I have AVG, Adaware, ZoneAlarm firewall, Ccleaner and Counterspy. All are free except Counterspy which I pay for as I like it and its only about a fiver for me for a year as I got a special deal on two licences and a mate has the other. Norton GoBack is in my opinion not as good as Windows own system restore so I wouldn't use that.

Unlike others when I used Norton I did not notice it slowing my PC to a crawl but that was a while ago and I must say that many others have noticed this problem. Haven't tried Windows Defender yet as I'm fairly sure its still a Beta program ie still in testing.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:54 08 May 06

Windows defender is still in testing and the first Beta caused me some problems but the current, second Beta, is fine.

G

foxman318 20:30 12 May 06

Thanks Chaps so far for all the good info....
I take note that Zone Alarm is favoured..as I intend to go for a seperate AntiVirus.....could someone advise whether the Pro version is still a better option or should I just go for the basic single firewall (Zone Alarm). Incidentally, the Pro version offers a triple defence system.

TIA............Fox

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:50 12 May 06

If you are a home user there is no need for the pro system as you have as much chance of being hacked as winning the Lotto 3 times in a row. A firewall will not help in a lack of common sense. ;-)) I do not use a firewall just AVG and windows defender but each to their own.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…