Norton SW - bug or virus?

olyman 10:57 20 Mar 04

I used NSW to uninstall a mystery program which was monitored by NSW CleanSweep although I hadn’t installed it. When I viewed the files that had been removed I found they included the contents of Outlook Express including all the folders that I had set up there. Like a fool I hadn’t backed up first. I restored the program but found that my OE folders were still missing together with the contents of my Inbox etc. I looked in the Norton Protected Bin and found the missing DBX files.
I used NSW to restore a couple of them but they didn’t appear in OE although they had gone from the Bin.
Any clues? Virus or NSW faulty? How do I get at the missing files?
I could run System Restore, I have XP, but I am afraid of loosing the files permanently.
HELP!!

olyman 11:29 20 Mar 04

Further investigation indicates that NSW is restoring the files to itself...C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\APPLICATION DATA\SYMANTEC\NORTON ANTIVIRUS though a search of this location doesn't reveal them.
How do I get them back into Outlook Express?

olyman 15:59 20 Mar 04

I have used NSW to try to restore the OE files into the Outlook Express Folder(C:\Documents and Settings\.........\Application Data\Identities\{85337C3C-C9A0-4DE9-9D35-D20F56F1A682}\Microsoft\Outlook Express) but they still aren't visible. I have also tried to Import the files to OE again without sucess.

Is there anyone out there??

Gaz 25 16:17 20 Mar 04

maybe they are hidden files??

olyman 16:48 20 Mar 04

:-))They are visible and substantial DBX files that can only be opened in OE if only I could get it to see them!

olyman 11:35 21 Mar 04

An update if anyone is interested.
I managed to retrieve most of my lost OE files by using DBXtract, a very useful freeware program from OEHelp.com/DBXtract. I had to copy individual folders to new folders set up in My Documents. Indvidual files can be copied from there to OE but I won't bother with this tedious process as I now have the contents stored in a readable form. A large number of Inbox files are still missing but I'll have to live with that.

olyman 11:36 21 Mar 04

I managed to retrieve most of my lost OE files by using DBXtract, a very useful freeware program from OEHelp.com/DBXtract. I had to copy individual folders to new folders set up in My Documents. Indvidual files can be copied from there to OE but I won't bother with this tedious process as I now have the contents stored in a readable form. A large number of Inbox files are still missing but I'll have to live with that.

olyman 11:36 21 Mar 04

olyman 11:39 21 Mar 04

Sorry about the multiple posts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…