Norton is still there!

Diemmess 18:01 20 Feb 06

From the previous thread
Click here
click here
Having downloaded the recommended files from the Symantec site for him,I sent them to him.
Both were downloaded,the Word "how to do it" doc opened, but the self executing file SymNRT was blocked by Norton!

It is catch 22, and unless someone can come up with a work-around, I'm going to have to comb his registry for him without a "plan B"

Curio 19:06 20 Feb 06

start / Run / regedit /

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software

delete any reference to the software
create A Restore Point before commencing this procedure

Diemmess 19:26 20 Feb 06

That looks logical and good Curio -thanks

DrScott 21:16 20 Feb 06

I don't quite see why you've started a new thread, but never mind.

If you use a regcleaner, like CCleaner, you won't have to make any manual changes to the registry which is fraught with danger. CCleaner is free! Plus it will remove the other norton entries which aren't in the above registry components!

Jackcoms 21:22 20 Feb 06

What's wrong with Add/Remove Programs?

I successfully removed Norton AV that way last week and then used CCleaner and RegSeeker to get rid of the little bits left in the registry.

CHAIRLEG 23:06 20 Feb 06

I removed Norton 2003 last Sat.First I used add /remove then I ran Reg scrub xp which removed 46 files then Reg cleaner took out 12 more files then CCleaner another 12 files I then searched for hidden files and removed 13 more but I still had the norton logo in control panel so bit the bullet and went into registry and removed another 7 from there and there are still 4 in reg that can't be removed.I have now got Avast and all seems ok.

Diemmess 14:45 21 Feb 06

(CHAIRLEG I thought I was going to have to make the trip and work along your lines, BUT)

This morning, friend phoned me and said he was clear clean and happy...

He had gone PCW, told them of his woes and seen their eyes lightup when he mention it was a Packard Bell of theirs.

They took him through the simple procedure.
Start > Programs > and then something like Packard Bell Support Site.

Selecting this offers a thread to the point where something like Windows Add/Remove programs is available.
At this point, a long list is there and scrolling down arrives at Norton Internet Security, which can be repaired or uninstalled. Choosing uninstall sets the wheels whizzing and after a lot of scene changes and a reboot, it had cleared Norton.

wee eddie 17:02 21 Feb 06

Perhaps you owe Norton an apology.

It appears that PB have a separate folder for all the Factory installed products. If you're friend had read the Instruction Manual, this might have become obvious.

Diemmess 18:01 21 Feb 06

Come on "Small Edward", Norton is a bit like Aol, you either hate it or you love it! I happen to love one and hate the other.
Neither would be as successful as they are if their best didn't outweigh their worst.
I think it was Curio in the earlier thread, who like me wondered why a major firm made things so difficult to remove their product. (the same criticism could be levelled at Aol) and devotees puzzle why anyone would wish to do this!

I disclaim responsibility for anything which others brought upon themselves, I was just trying to help!

wee eddie 19:07 21 Feb 06

I am sure you know what you are up to and Norton is notoriously difficult to remove.

By following the instructions, I managed to Uninstall Norton 2003 and install 2006, in the course of an evening while watching 2 CSI episodes.

No problems so far, but I did have to follow the instructions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…