Norton Speed Disk vs Windows XP defragmenter

xquest 20:30 19 Aug 04

After a period of low file activity Norton SystemWorks desktop display tells me that drive C has changed from zero % fragmented to 20%. Windows accessories/system tools/defragmenter says 3% and no action is needed. I'm inclined to believe Windows analysis and not Norton. What do you think ?

stalion 21:53 19 Aug 04

when did you last de-frag?.If you use your computer a lot it is best to de-frag about once a month

xquest 22:38 19 Aug 04

Hello Stalion, I last defragged using Norton Speed Disk around 1st. August, so the fragmentation after that was zero. Over the next 3 weeks it has become 20% fragmented according to Norton, and 3% according to Windows defragmenter.

I have around 5Gb of data and the amount of file update etc. is fairly light so I would think 3% is probably correct for 3 weeks of updates.
I wonder why there is such a big difference between Norton Speed Disk and Windows defragmenter?

CHAIRLEG 22:46 19 Aug 04

Have the same problem it seems that they seem to work as opposites if one says your ok the other says your not.Inow just use norton set on auto.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…