norton speed disk crash

Norton speed disk crashes at 69% complete while optimizing.Iv'e had this problem before and sorted it by clearing junk files,temp files and downloads also closing all running programs.This time the problem remains.

wee eddie 17:54 19 Oct 03

that on my W'98 PC that Speed Disk cannot handle very fragmented drives. It's much faster than windows on a lightly fragmented drive.

Run Windows Defragmenter in Safe Mode, it'll take hours but will eventually churn it's way through the job, then set the Utilities Warning to 95% or above.

meatlaff2 17:56 19 Oct 03

Make sure screensaver isn't on. I have Norton but never come across this prob. See if windows will run defrag in normal mode.

woodchip 18:03 19 Oct 03

You can run it from DOS in Win98 Start with Windows floppy or shut down to DOS you have to change Directory to run with the CD command the path is C:\Proga~1\Norton~1\SD32.exe to run

I have run windows defragmenter and it completed ok.When I go to norton speed disk it says optimization not required.I run speed disk anyway and it still freezes at 69% complete.I have uninstalled/reinstalled norton utilities still no go.I dont use a screen saver.

wx622 16:23 20 Oct 03

Have you disabled all background services/applications? Sometimes, I get this problem if certain background apps are running. Speed Disk will start, but the app requires that no other apps are running when the disk optimization is completing, not just when it starts. Sometimes background applications such as Mdm (if you happen to have VB installed) can cause this. One I found was Point32, which is an optical mouse driver. Others exist. (If you use XP, end the process "explorer.exe", then type "explorer.exe" (Without quotes) into the 'Run new Task' box.)

wee eddie 16:43 20 Oct 03

When you say "crashes".

Do you mean the whole program crashes?

or

Do you mean that when it reaches 69% it often reverts to 0% and starts again.

The second is I think quite normal - well it happen to me in both Speed Disk and in the Windows Application. I think it is caused by Windows responding to the process in some way.

GaT7 17:17 20 Oct 03

If you're running Speed disk from Norton SystemWorks 2003 I would recommend disabling GoBack if you using it.

I've had similar problems in the past and once Speed disk corrupted the registry to the extent that my PC wouldn't start at all! I can only blame Speed disk & GoBack for this, as they were the only programs running at the time.

Did this help in any way?

I use Win98.I dont have 'vb' or 'goback' installed or use an optical mouse.In 'end task 'I close all programs except explorer and system tray,in 'start up' I disable all except system tray.Speed disk crashes at 69% complete,I have to use 'end task'to close program.

froggg 00:32 21 Oct 03

why dont you try the windows defragger?slow but sure.

woodchip 10:13 21 Oct 03

Have you tried running Norton Disk Doctor first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now