Norton slowed my computer!

Xeephran 09:32 08 Apr 07

Hi all,

New here, hoping you guys might be able to save my sanity.

My computer is a 2yr old emachines 4250. I have always had Norton Internet Security 2003 installed on it....until last week when I decided to upgrade to NIS 2007. I had to uninstall 2003 first which I did successfully. As soon as 2007 was on my computer the internet became slow and somehow world of warcraft had a corrupted file. After 3 days it was so slow that it was pointless keeping NIS 2007 installed so I uninstalled and put 2003 back on. The problem persisted so I spent around 6 hours on Friday restoring my computer.

Well....the problem has sort of gone...right now the internet is fine. Even running it whilst I play warcraft (relatively heavy use online game) but you can bet your bottom dollar that soon it'll be on a go slow again.

Why is it doing this? Do I have a hardware problem or coincidently has an ISP problem occurred at the same time? I have Blueyonder Broadband Complete from Telewest (Virgin I think now) which should be 4mb connection. Currently my connection status is displaying a speed of 100.0mbps…that sound right?

VoG II 09:46 08 Apr 07

Try this test click here

I'm with Blueyonder and things have not slowed down but there can be local effects - check the status page click here

J B 10:43 08 Apr 07

Although I do not play games, I found that NIS 2007 doesn't slow my laptop down one bit, in fact it is a little speedier now since I upgraded from NAV 2006. Having said that, I didn't download the add on pack. One thing is that the plishing toolbar makes browsing a little slower but that doesn't bother me. J.B.

i have the add on kit and pc is used mainly for gaming, i have found nis'07 to be the least hungry security package i have tried, and i have tried a few.
if you use ie7 make the phishing toolbar the default one as it turns off the microsoft ones which i have found to slow up the loading of pages on the net
adam

birdface 11:20 08 Apr 07

Hi ,You probably should have used the Norton Removal tool to delete 2003,Probably best idea is to use it now,Delete 2003 and 2007,Run C Cleaner then reinstall 2007,Probably a conflict between the two norton versions,And if you dont use the removal tool parts of it stay's on your computer.

birdface 11:21 08 Apr 07
  Xeephran 15:40 09 Apr 07

Hi again,

Thanks for the advuice so far, unfortunately I am still experienceing problems.

I called my ISP, Virgin Media and they said that from their end everything appeared to be fine and suggested going onto click here to download a game and note down the rate of transfer.....quite how she expexcted me to do this after only seconds ago telling her that I did not have the internet I am not entirely sure. She also repeatedly insisted I be next to the computer and didn't seem to understand that this what not possible since I have no phone. If nothing else, it provided comical relief from an otherwise frustrating situation.

Anyway, I tried the rate of transfer on one of sites suggested here and it is indeed 4mb which is what I pay for. My computer still says the connection speed is 100.0mbps (I have no idea what this means).

Disabling Norton 2003 does nothing, nor does disabling windows forewall.

However, I am online now only after disabling some of the add ons in the internet properties section of IE. I am hopeful that the problem is solved but my connection is still slower than it used to be.

Just how many of the net add-ons can I disable? At the moment the following add-on status is thus:

AcroIEHlprobj Class - Disabled
CNavExtbho Class - Disabled
java plug-in 1.4.2 - Disabled
java plug-in 1.4.1 - Enabled
Norton antivirus - Disabled
Real.com - Disabled
Shcokwave Flash Object -Enabled
Sun Java Console - Enabled
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool - Enabled
Windows Messenger - Disabled

The computer is also running a host of Hewlett Packard .exe in the task manager screen. My printer is HP so I guess it comes from that.

Xeephran 15:42 09 Apr 07

Sorry,

Java plug-in 1.4.2 is running was running twice, i disabled one.

1.4.1 is not listed but I don't know how to edit my post

birdface 15:59 09 Apr 07

Hi, Did you run the Norton Uninstaller,Or did you just remove from Add-remove,you could try running Firefox instead of I/Explorer.See if its any quicker.

p;3 16:10 09 Apr 07

I note you say you have disabled the Norton antivirus ? that means you are running with no av protection
also; with all the problems you seem to be having with the norton I had wondered if you were considering removing it altogehter and perhaps having a more user/computer -friendly protection on board?

Xeephran 16:42 09 Apr 07

Hi Buteman

I have just ran the removal tool to remove all traces of symantec products. My internet appears normal! :D Although, part of the problem has been that it becomes slow and then totally stops so I guess I'll have to wait and see if it is a lasting solution. If it is I'll kiss you!

Hi p;3,

yes I have considered getting rid of Norton altogether but want to continue to find a solution first. I did consider Panda...any good?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…