Norton Security system check

cowgirl66 09:09 19 Nov 06

Hi, I'm back on the old subject of Norton Security 2007 again! I like what I've found out about it so far and have had no issues with it now it's installed; except one.

It's taking ages for my computer to start up and the icon doesn't appear in the taskbar for simply ages. Would it be ok for me to remove the tick in oscheck found in Startup or not? I know it's there for a reason, but, well I hate to see things running so slow.

cowgirl66 09:10 19 Nov 06

(it's even slower than 2006 version - for me at least)

birdface 12:34 19 Nov 06

If it runs all right after the install, I would just leave it, Start it up then go powder your nose or something like that,It is the same with Spyware Doctor, Takes ages for it to install, I stopped that running at start up,Anti-Virus + Firewall is different, And I would let it run properly,What you need is some feedback from other users,

i had norton 07, which im seriously thinking of reinstalling,amd64 3500+ with loads of programs, startup about 40 seconds, try checking your regestry and processes because it sounds to me like something is wrong after 2006 version you should notice a vast speed improvement, even with the add on pack

cowgirl66 14:20 19 Nov 06

I agree it does run quickly when the initial startup check is over, noticably so when opening O.E.

But now I'm noticing an error message when shutting down the computer which I didn't have before 2007; the trouble is, it apears after the "Windows is shutting down" message, I'm there waiting with pen and paper to jot it down, and the dam thing disappears as the computer switches off! It happens infrequently but if I get to write down the whole of the message, I'll be back.

Regards cowgirl66

VoG II 14:22 19 Nov 06

Start, Run, type

eventvwr

and click OK. Look for errors at the time you shut down.

nikef 14:26 19 Nov 06

cowgirl66

i get the same message 2,like you say you dont get time to jot it down,but it does not appear everytime i shut down

have just reinstalled mine, i dont know how to give you hyper links, but there's a norton error checker at there web site, something sounds wrong, i just had 44 second startup there yellow dot which i use came on about a second after my desktop appeared 31 processes running thats nis 2007 with all add ons installed, i ran regscrub xp and ccleaner before the instal, removed previous av and firewall in safe mode, inslled nis06 from disks and then updated from the link you used activated it all then ran regscrub and ccleaner again all seems fine and faster, hope this helps you

cowgirl66 14:37 19 Nov 06

thanks VoG, I'll use that method and get back to you with the results.

nikef, have you just installed Norton 2007 too and are now noticing your error messages as a result?

adman 2, I really don't fancy reinstalling because I had so much trouble (see my posts) upgrading from 2006 originally. And of course I do realise that with only 256Mb ram I can't expect speedy deliveries. For this reason the only other extras I use are AdAware and a-squared which are not realtime protectors for me as I have the free versions which don't run in the background. Ccleaner sounds good though, and the Norton checker.

Thanks, all

cowgirl66

cowgirl66 14:57 19 Nov 06

I ran "eventvwr" and found this but it's meaningless to me.

Application
Type; Warning. Source; userenv. Cat; none. Event; 1517. User; SYSTEM.

Security
Type; Failure audit. Source; Security. Category; Policy change. Event; 615. User; Network Ser.

I don't know what this means but could it be the start up error message?

nikef 17:26 19 Nov 06

cowgirl
yes its been on my system for about 3 weeks now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…