Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4
When I run a Full System Scan using Norton Internet Security 2007 it stops at app. 7000 items with the message: RUNDLL: an exception has occurred while trying to run “c:\progra~1\common~1\symant~1\virusd~1\20061228.009\cceraser.dll
After I press “OK” the Scan goes on to complete.
So far I have:
1. Run the scan in safe mode.
2. Run scans of individual folders instead of a full system scan.
3. Ensured that live update is up to date and downloaded virus definitions using Intelligent Updater.
4. Ensured that the virus definition files are not set to read-only
5. Excluded the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs from the scan.
6. Disable scanning within compressed files
7. Uninstalled and reloaded Norton Internet Security 2007 three times. The second time after using Norton Removal Tool and the third time following an email from Norton containing instructions for full removal.
When running in safe mode or running scans of individual folder I have no problem. This is probably because the program does not call cceraser.dll in either of these cases. If I disable "Scan active programs and startup files" the scan runs OK but again this is probably because it does not call cceraser. The RUNDLL error only seems to arise when a full system scan is called.
I have contacted Symantec Live Chat four times and now await a response to an email. Please could you help?
They suggested all the things listed in points 1 to 7. At the moment they have requested further information. They just seem to work from a checklist and when they have exhausted it "escalate" the problem. The new person seems to have a different checklist.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.