Norton Renewal Question.

Rob_08 16:55 08 Nov 10

Hi,
Heres something ive been pondering over to save a bit of cash.
If i purchase Norton Internet Security 2010 with a 1 year license for £19 instead of £30 odd for the 2011 version , can i just use the 2010 license key, then download 2011 and activate it with my 2010 key?
I feel it should work, am i correct ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 08 Nov 10

No

I don't follow your logic, you cannot buy a 2010 license and expect it to work on 2011 software.

birdface 17:03 08 Nov 10

You could get the free update from 2010 to 2011 version bfore so I would imagine that you may still be able to do it.

961 17:11 08 Nov 10

If you buy kaspersky internet security you can update to the latest software (e.g from KIS 2010 to 2011) without charge until your licence expires

Your bank may provide it free for up to 3 computers

Rob_08 17:44 08 Nov 10

Ok thanks for the info.
My 2010 license is still good for 60 days . Kaspersky is a no on for me though as its way too invasive buggy and annoying. Used it for a year, never again.

961 18:07 08 Nov 10

Then when your 60 days is up trawl round for the cheapest renewal

My guess is that you can with your existing licence key download the 2011 software and then pay for another year via whatever cheap link you can find

The main thing is not to just pay the fee that Norton ask for. Like many other suppliers they try to get their existing customers to pay twice as much as new comers

joe-soap2 18:29 08 Nov 10

Rob_08
As long as your current version has a valid subscription you can go to Nortons Update Center click here and get the most recent version FREE. I did this recently from NIS2009 to NIS2011.
The blurb below is a direct copy from the landing page of the link above.

"Get the latest version now! As a Norton subscription customer, you deserve the most current protection available. With your current paid subscription, you are entitled to download the latest version of your Norton product during your service period. It's safe, easy, secure, and provides the latest features and performance improvements"

joe-soap2 18:38 08 Nov 10

Hi again Rob_08 -
if the link in my post doesn't work the address is h t t p // u p d a t e c e n t e r . c o m - obviously without the spaces. the URL I have addedin my original message is correct but it appears as 'CLICK HERE' within my post and it doesn't appear to be pointing to the above. However, if you hover over the 'CLICK ME' in previous post it shows the correct address.
A bit long and drawn out sorry.

joe-soap2 18:39 08 Nov 10

h t t p / / u p d a t e c e n t e r . n o r t o n . c o m

Rob_08 18:47 08 Nov 10

Thanka again for all the replies and info.
The problem is i think i only have one activation left ( i hate that about Norton products)
I beta-test software for companies and need to reinstall or image my drive regularly so i did need to re-activate it a number of times. Now though i image my drive with NIS as part of the backup. Hope you follow me.
I think if i try to install 2011 its going to make me activate again and i think i could be doomed.
Hence why i am looking for the cheapest way to do this. Cheers.

kjrider 18:55 08 Nov 10

Try AVG - its still free, but you might have to search around their website to find it.

KJR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…