A Norton Puzzle

It's Me 16:48 24 Oct 04

At least it is for me.

I have Norton System Works Pro 2003. The antivirus sub is up to 04/07/05, and it works just fine, in fact I got an update this morning. However, if I go to the Norton button on the Start Menu, and press 'Live Update', after a moment, I find a red button with a white cross in it (X) prefixing the Norton Utilities and the comment in box underneath - 'LU1848 couldn't create call back object', which might as well be in Martian as far as I am concerned.

I've had a look on Google and the stuff there seems to refer to 2004 and 2005 versions, with some horrendous tales of trying to fully uninstall Norton and then reinstall it to solve the problem.

I am 99% certain that this was not there a few days ago, and I can't in all honesty relate this to SP2 which I installed some while ago. So the question is, what is this LU1848 and does it really matter? And, would getting the 2005 version cure it?

VoG II 16:52 24 Oct 04
  It's Me 17:25 24 Oct 04

Thank you for that.

I have followed through the performance of finding that the file mentioned is indeed on my PC, been into the registry and replaced entry as instructed ( it was the very same there anyway), and of course it has made no difference.

Although the site is not specific, it seems that my only way forward is going to be to uninstall per Symantec's instructions, and reinstall. Ah Well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…