//some 3rd party need geo

Norton products advice please

Rebanut 11:18 15 Aug 03

I am thinking of buying Norton systemworks and Personal Firewall 2003 to install on a new PC, are they good products and do they cover you for most problems.
many thanks.

Lozzy 11:24 15 Aug 03

Yes excellent well worth the money although you can get free AV's and firewalls. But I prefer Norton I always feel you get what you pay for but there is nothing wrong in the free ones.

-pops- 11:26 15 Aug 03

Personal view - AVOID

There is little useful that Norton will do that you can't get free elsewhere. The things that Norton has that you can't get free aren't worth having.

A quick search of this forum will bring up loads of Anti-virus, firewalls, this checker, that checker, and so on.

Some people get on OK with Norton, others think it the spawn of the devil.

Rebanut 11:27 15 Aug 03

Thanks Lozzy
I have just found the two bundled together for £58.50 inc P&P so thats a good deal I think.

alcudia 11:35 15 Aug 03

Something to consider. It is possible that the 2004 versions will be out soon. It may be worth using the free options until then. If not you will have to decide whether to waste most of a years use and buy the new, or carry on with the old.

JoeC 11:35 15 Aug 03

avoid like the plague, others will say the best since sliced bread. My opinion ? - go for it. I have used Norton products for ages now and am perfectly happy with them.

Belatucadrus 11:40 15 Aug 03

click here Alwils avast4 !, see Virus bulletin results click here

Kerio Personal Firewall 2 click here

Save yourself £58.50 and no renewal fees.

temp003 12:03 15 Aug 03

Norton System Works and Personal Firewall 2003 happen to be the same combination that I use. Previously I used the 2001 version, and I have no complaints myself about any of the products. The 2003 version's default settings have reduced the applications that run at startup, hogging comparatively less resources (still a lot, but certain things you can configure).

As to whether to wait for the 2004 version (usually coming out in September or October), the one caveat is Norton may introduce Product Activation. They have done so with the 2004 beta version of Norton Antivirus, but it probably makes no difference to you.

A new feature of the 2004 beta version is scanning for adware apparently.

Sapins 12:21 15 Aug 03

I have the same package. Can't fault it. As a beginner/intermediate user it's easy to set up and use.

redelf 13:18 15 Aug 03

I use System Works and it is great. As for newer versions, you don't have to pay full price - if you have an existing version you pay a lower price for the upgrade. Also, Norton have a policy that if you are not happy with their product you can get a full refund from them, provided you return it within a certain period from purchase date.

whilst i would thoroughly recommend Norton products i would advise you to consider the impact on your system if you do not have a considerale amount of memory. anything less than 256MB will struggle with the full package installed but other than that go for it, but buy JV16 powertools as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…