Norton personal firwall 2003

thesut 22:33 12 Jul 05

I have just had my pc returned after have extra ram installed. when connecting it back up again i found that my firewall was not working so i uninstalled it and reinstalled.i then found i could not access the internet without turning the firewall off so i could access the live update for the firewall.that was the 1st problem. any ideas? Then when updating i received the following Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

Common Client Core 1.0.2

LiveUpdate was not able to complete this update.

Please contact Technical Support and provide all information displayed on this screen.
For contact information, go to Help->Technical Support from your Symantec product.

The files below could not be updated by LiveUpdate:
File: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\ccWebWnd.dl^
238712 Bytes 7/14/2004 23:18:08 v103.0.0.83.
I installed service pack 2 last year if thats any help

cymbo 18:52 13 Jul 05

Assumming the firewall was OK prior to the ram upgrade then obviously whoever did the upgrade has caused the problem. Just upgrading ram would not affect the firewall so I wonder what else they have done? They may have used the computer and/or played about with various firewall settings such as denying IE internet access. Also make sure you do a virus scan.

Is it just Norton personal firewall you have installed or is Norton Internet Security? I have only ever used NIS but possibly what I am about to suggest might help. You mention trouble with "Live Update" after reinstalling. When you uninstall any Norton product with the intention of reinstalling and that product uses "live update", then it is absolutely essential that from 'Add or Remove programs' you not only uninstall the product but also uninstall "Live Update", "Live Reg" and also "Norton WMI Update" if present.

If you don't remove all components you won't get a successful reinstall. You will definitely have problems trying to use "Live Update" with various error messages being displayed. I have tried other security products, (usually the freebies)out of curiosity, and then come back to Norton without any trouble on the reinstall. I have also done uninstalls and reinstalls on friends computers without any problems by following the above procedure.

I seem to have rambled on and said very little but hope it helps.

knobler 19:35 13 Jul 05

Copy this link and paste this link into your address line. It'll lead you to Symnatecs tool to uninstall Norton completely - It worked for me.

click here=

Danoh 21:58 13 Jul 05

I agree with cymbo, having previously had problems with earlier versions of NIS, as posted on knobler's thread click here

You can either uninstall 2003 completely as a precursor to removing it all together for another A/V product, especially if you are still within the 60 day refund period for Symantec products.

Or you could do a complete uninstall of Norton components before a reinstall of 2003.

Mind you, as you got someone else to install extra RAM for you, you might as well get them to rectify the problem seeing as it was not present when you last had it. :-)

thesut 11:26 14 Jul 05

thanks for your comments guys. At the moment i have norton corporate av which is working update is ok.2002 systemworks and 2003 firewall seems to be the problem with part of the live update which which refers to NIs.To access internet i have had to configure personal firewall to allow all connections Anyway have gone to symantacs site and done a security check,which says i am ok but only when i have windows firwall turned on as well.Otherwise without it i have a problem in windows security.If i start having more problems i will uninstall everything as recommended. Oh what a nightmare!!!!

Danoh 11:55 14 Jul 05

Oh! You don't have the integrated Norton Internet Security (NIS) bundle

Norton 2003 firewall has better stealth capabilities but the free ZoneAlarm would probably suffice. But XP's firewall only covers incoming and not outgoing connection attempts such as those generated by Trojans and other "back door" malware.

I am really not a fan of Norton's systemworks in particular and system-tweak utilities in general. They cause more problems then they fix in general consumer usage. Personally, that would be the first thing I'd get right off even if you have paid for it already.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…