Norton personal firewall - any good?

RamUK 18:02 23 Feb 03

Are personal firwalls any good.

I have a Norton virus checker installed but I seem to be getting more and more of the instant messenger type pop up ads that I can't stop. I've tried taking IE security settings up to the highest level from Medium High but all that does is make surfing a nightmare.

The arrival of these pop ups has made me think I'm at risk so was wondering whether it was worth shelling out the £35 or so to get a firewall and whether it would help me with this issue even if I did.

I'm running XP on a Dell 2.5Ghz machine.

Rayuk 18:09 23 Feb 03

You can get Zone Alarm or Sygate free a Firewall should be a must for everyone.

Leejg 18:09 23 Feb 03

I've been using Norton Firewall and Norton anti-virus for about 10 months now and all seems Ok, but I don't think it stops pop up adds. I use "Pop Up stopper" from Panicware it seems to do the job and it's free.

JoeC 18:12 23 Feb 03
  obbit 18:22 23 Feb 03

you would do better to save your money and download zonealarm firewall and avg anti-virus.

zonealarm click here

avg click here

they are free and are easy to install unlike norton which usually causes problems.
every day there are 3 or 4 threads on here by people having trouble with norton.

Sketch 18:24 23 Feb 03

I use Norton Firewall 2003 and it has the functionality of 'pop-stopping'... and thus far I've seen none!

Just last night my 56k driven system was attacked by a hacker in Norway. They were swiftly dealt with. How do I know that? Because it shows their IP address and then zooms around on this large world map and pin points their systems EXACT location!

Its all pretty scary really.

SKETCH

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:38 23 Feb 03

'Just last night my 56k driven system was attacked by a hacker in Norway'....this is highly unlikely especially on a 56k that has a different IP each time you log on. It was most likely a server or router based in Norway that was checking to see if your IP address was live and then updating to ensure that you can receive downloads. On a home system you ahve more chance of getting 6 numbers on the Lotto than being hacked. (see previous posts on hacking home computers)

G

mikeyb59 19:11 23 Feb 03

Agree with GANDALF <|:-)>. I use Sygate firewall and can't remember the last time it warned me of an incoming connection.

I believe that the chances of a home user getting "hacked" are somewhere between zero and no chance!

Relax and don't worry about it.

accord 19:19 23 Feb 03

NFW does stop pop up adds, its in the options, been using it for about 9 months and find that and NAV work superb together, they should do as they come from the same company.

RamUK 20:15 23 Feb 03

I think I've now got more questions than answers about which system to go for but thanks for trying to help people.

Sketch 16:06 24 Feb 03

...just today my system was attacked by a 'Hack-a-Tack Trojan'... residing in Morocco...

...but I suppose that was nothing to worry about too, Gandalf?!!

SKETCH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…