Norton Personal Firewall

pj123 10:41 10 May 03

I have NPF on my computer but it has never, ever popped up with any warnings? There was a thread some time ago advising a site to test a firewall but I can't find it. Anyone point me in the right direction please?

citadel 10:47 10 May 03

You can do the test at symantec.com, look in downloads at the bottom left hand corner of the page and select security check.

3Toed 10:50 10 May 03
  VoG™ 11:00 10 May 03
  pj123 11:13 10 May 03

Thanks, that is the one I was looking for. Just tried it and it got in??? What's the next step then as it appears NPF isn't working?

VoG™ 11:20 10 May 03

Don't know about Norton, sorry.

With McAfee

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

Port
Service
Status Security Implications

FTP
Stealth! There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

Telnet
Stealth! There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

SMTP

Finger

HTTP

POP3

IDENT

RPC

Net
BIOS

IMAP

HTTPS

MSFT
DS

UPnP

The Sack 11:35 10 May 03

If you didnt pay for NPF swap it for Zonealarm or Sygate as it is over rated and underperforms.

PC flank offers a huge range of firewall tests unlike Steve Gibsons site which just shows the common ports. click here

pj123 11:41 10 May 03

Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional Edition, for which I paid good money for, doesn't appear to have a Firewall on it. Well, Well, Well, now there's a retrograde step.

3Toed 11:49 10 May 03

Have you rescently updated npf-it cant be configured properly-i have npf and run Vog(tm)'suggestion and it is unable to get into mine-Stealth,blocked on all.You should first check in NPfw that the check mark is applied to 'turn on' the firewall.(find this by clicking the configure tab).

3Toed 12:04 10 May 03

Dont get your thread pj123,in opening your thread you stated you had NPF,now it seems you dont?
The sack-Over rated and underperforms-thats your(and probably quite a fews people's opinion),and you and they are entitled to that,but i bet there are just as many people who think that what you have stated is quite an unjust statement-regarding NPF.

pj123 12:07 10 May 03

I have uninstalled N systemworks 2003 and re-installed my 2002, which does have Firewall.

all checks are now coming up with "SAFE"

Thanks everyone, just goes to show it doesn't pay to get the latest version every time?????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…