Norton or McAfee?

Mavro 11:15 23 Jun 04

I have to decide between Norton and McAfee AV. We have had a problem with our mini network (4 computers)the cure of which included the uninstallation of the McAfee protection we had. The computers had a problem running after the reinstallation so we put Norton on. Is one considered better than the other?

Cuddles 11:18 23 Jun 04

Personal choice really, why limit yourself to only two options, there are plenty of other av progs out there some are even free, personally i would not use either of your two options.

anchor 16:36 23 Jun 04

From the point of view of virus protection, a magazine review said that both seem to be more or less equal.

Remember, any programme is only as good as its update. Norton issue an update daily.

GaT7 17:12 23 Jun 04

As anchor says, about the same. To read some reviews - By PCW: McAfee - click here, NAV - click here. By PCmag: Both - click here. [McAfee would probably edge it because of the lower price but you obviously don't want to go back to something that was causing problems!]

To follow-up on Cuddles suggestion for free antivirus programs, here are a few -click here. HTH, G

Mavro 17:18 23 Jun 04

Thanks everyone I appreciate your comments and will check out Crossbow7's links.

Gongoozler 18:01 23 Jun 04

The latest PCA mag (Issue 109 August 04) rates Norton and McAfee security suites as good on virus detection, but Norton has slow scans and "a noticeable negative impact on startup and shutdown times". McAfee rates poor on "Ease of use". Trend Micro PC-cillin comes out best.

dickun 11:30 02 Jul 04

I installed McAfee Virusscan 8 on our MD's laptop running XP and it caused many problems. Uninstalled it and installed Norton 2004...no problems so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017