NORTON or AVG

rorylb 21:17 29 Mar 04

As i am fairly new to computers and the net i ask a lot of people advice, one thing that devides most people i ask is what is best between these two and is there a better one... please advise

Paranoid Android 21:27 29 Mar 04

I'm a Norton fan myself - but AVG is also excellent. I have used both and neither has ever let me down.

If you go for AVG I suggest you pay up for the full version - the free one downloads at a snails pace.

Marvin

lucky1 21:42 29 Mar 04

I too am a Norton fan. Used to run Mcafee but got nothing but troubles

the old man 21:53 29 Mar 04

I am currently using a three month trial of macafee and it has been very good. when this trial finishes i will start using avg free edition. there have been problems recently with updates for avg and i had problems actually downloading the programme itself. there is a link on the forum which has an assist for avg updates. avg is free and obviously holds its own against the big guns (norton, macafee etc) as can be seen by its vast number of supporters within pca members and this proved good enough for me. antivirus is only as good as your most up to date 'update'.

TommyRed 21:58 29 Mar 04

The AVG update problem can be solved with a relatively easy tweak. I use AVG free edition and never had any problems (touch wood) I used to have Norton but I had to pay for updates or upgrade, so I switched. AVG was highly recommended on this forum and elsewhere. HTH TR

citadel 22:07 29 Mar 04

I use norton and have had no problems with it, the firewall is also good and includes a pop up and pop under stopper. The anti-virus and firewall are easy to install and use.

Mikè 22:37 29 Mar 04

Unfortunatly the tweak of avg to improve the update speed doesn't cure the problem, it just gives you a choice of 3 slow servers to download from. Get Anti Vir click here and it's free.

precrown 23:05 29 Mar 04

I had avg for two years without problems, until November last year it found a virus but could not fix it. Tried (and bought) Norton Anti-virus 2003 and it fixed the problem. Updates seem to occur 2 - 3 times per week. Will stay with Norton from now on. I think Norton is slightly more trouble to work with but its worth it for the protection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…