Norton not installing.

I-W 19:28 17 Feb 05

Iv had the pleasure of having to take back packard bell to factory settings. I popped in the red floppy to activate the image of the os, which is windows and all the sofeare that came with the pc. All went well(ish) till I had to re-install norton antiviruse. I installed the live updates and the main antiviruse suite only to find that when I went to run the programme I got the following message "NAVAPW32.EXE unable to locate component MSVCR71.DLL" and thats where it all stops. can any one please help?

Satmansq 19:41 17 Feb 05

You can try looking on the Symantec web site for support but it seems like one of the updates may well have caused a problem, its happened to me a couple of times.

Symantec support cured the problem for me, hope it can do the same for you.

click here

GORAL 19:41 17 Feb 05

Suggest you look inside the installation CD which P.Bell supplied to check if Norton A/Virus is actually on it.

If not do you have a seperate CD for Norton?

Or - maybe Norton was supplied as a trial version?

Only other suggestion is to check Norton.s website re the problem and maybe find the misssing MSVCR71.DLL?

I-W 19:44 17 Feb 05

on the HDD But was then update to the latest version. would this make any difference?

I-W 19:55 17 Feb 05

When I find the missing .DLL fill where would it need to go. I feel this is a stupied question but as im a novice imm willing to learn the ropes.

I-W 19:55 17 Feb 05

I should mention that Iv have donwloaded one from the net. hope its the right one.

GaT7 22:12 17 Feb 05

1. If using Win98/ME

MSVCR71.DLL would normally be in Windows\System. COPY the file you've downloaded to the above directory. Then COPY & PASTE the line below into the Start->Run box & press OK:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system\msvcr71.dll

2. If using Win2000/XP

MSVCR71.DLL would normally be in Windows\System32. COPY the file you've downloaded to the above directory. Then COPY & PASTE the line below into the Start->Run box & press OK:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\msvcr71.dll

If the above is successful you will get a '...succeeded' message (let us know if you get any error messages). If successful, reboot your PC then run NAV again. G

PS - if ANYONE is reading this, PLEASE CORRECT me if I've got the location of MSVCR71.DLL in Win2000/XP wrong (I use win98se).

I-W 22:15 17 Feb 05

and get back to you tomorrow. thanks alot

I-W 16:11 18 Feb 05

Im running windows xp and did what you advised. When I entered the line into the run box I got the following error message "reg svr 32 C:\windows\system32\msvcr71.dll was loaded, but the dllregisterserver entry point was not found the file cannot be registered" Any ideas?

GaT7 16:37 18 Feb 05

First try:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msvcr71.dll

If no joy, then:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system\msvcr71.dll

Use Copy & Paste, again. G

I-W 11:41 19 Feb 05

Thanks for the advice. I went back to the pc and switched it on to try out your advice only to find that it work first time. It must of just needed a reboot. Thanks for your time and effort on this mater.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…