Norton Live Update

Hangus 16:53 16 Aug 07

When I start my pc I get a message that i have a problem that needs fixing in my Norton AV software. i click on it to let it fix it. It does. then next time I start my pc it does it all again. Also my pc is running slow. I have noticed that a process called ALEUPDATE.EXE is running constantly and using 100% of my cpu. I think this is the norton live update program, but I am not certain. I have tried contacting norton but they have only suggested re installing. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Shachna 01:26 09 Nov 07

I also tried contacting Symantec and was not satisfied by their response but, I think I may have found an answer to the ALEUPdate.exe conundrum.
ALEUpdate.exe is the automatic update process of Norton that is always searching for updates to NAV and other Norton Utilities, similar to Windows Live Update, which is always on (SVCHOST.exe!)
You can turn off ALEUpdate.exe.
Go into the Control Panel and right click on the Norton Icon
Find the tab for Live Update and uncheck the box
Then you can either got into Task Manager and have Live Update run on a given schedule (not at Start up or Log On), and/or you can manually run Live Update after each time you log on to acco8nt for any viruses that may have developed over night!
I've done this for two days and things seem to be running much smoother
You may also want to turn off System Doctor at Log On, and then manually turn it on after your PC is booted up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced