Norton Internet Security - Slow Startup

jaycup 22:34 21 Feb 05

Since installing the 2005 version a few days ago my boot up time to a full desktop has stretched from 1 minute (Norton 2004) to 4 minutes now. I get the 'welcome' music quickly enough but the it takes forever to load the services and start up items of which apart from I.S. there are only five. I have just un-installed the software and my system was fully booted in 45 seconds. I have tried to get an answer on the Symantec web-site but to no avail. I am running Windows XP Pro. Has anyone come across this problem or seen any reference to it, I tried Google but never got anywhere with this either. The one thing I did notice that when installing my 'Start-Up Monitor' program highlighted the fact that Norton requested about six services to run at start-up could this be the problem and if so would I benefit by changing these from 'automatic' to manual in System Services.

VoG II 22:37 21 Feb 05
  jaycup 23:02 21 Feb 05

Thanks for the link, not exactly 'bedtime-reading' but very informative. I will struggle on and try to resolve my Norton problem but I cannot live with a four minute boot up so in the end I may have to write it off and load AVG.
By the way I do agree with all that has been said re uninstalling Norton it is a nightmare and so messy.

Furthark 19:28 22 Feb 05

jaycup. You are not alone! Since installing Nortons 2005, my computer also takes more time to start, I don't think we can put it down to anything but the program.

Celery is very stringy 22:03 28 Feb 05

Me too, slow as hell to startup

Tog_ 23:45 28 Feb 05

Is there an option/schedule to do a scan at startup?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…