NORTON INTERNET SECURITY - REINSTALL ??

RMonty 12:17 16 Sep 03

I'm having a number of problems trying to receive and load Updates for the Norton Internet Security 2003 and have been unable to resolve the issue.
I have been considering uninstalling Norton IS2003 and the reloading it from my original CD...would this cause any problems ??

Any comments, views or other options would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Noels 13:05 16 Sep 03

Can't give any great technical advice but had similar problens earlier this year. Uninstalled Norton AV and Firewall and am unable to reinstall from CD, either the 2003 version or the 2002 version. I believe the uninstall procedure doesn't do a complete uninstall but leaves odd bits floating around in your system which prevent a reinstall. I now use AVG.

Will be interested to see what other replies you get.

Regards Noels

RMonty 13:42 16 Sep 03

Anyones else had this problem ??

Tog 13:46 16 Sep 03

I had problems installing after uninstalling a previous version and had to edit the registry to remove all trace. IIRC there is a utility available from the Symantec support site to ensure all traces are removed.

-pops- 14:11 16 Sep 03

Uninstall and chuck it in the bin.

A quick look in these columns will give you loads of advice about free utilities which are far better than that trouble maker, Norton.

RMonty 14:46 16 Sep 03

Interesting comments......I see from olther sites there may have been a problem with a NIS patch 6.04 .......could this had contributed to my original problems and can this patch be removed ?? or maybe I should restore my pc to an earlier date before this patch was loaded ??

Tog 15:45 16 Sep 03

Symantec support is reasonably good, give them a visit.

nkosi 17:13 16 Sep 03

I was running Norton System Works (with Anti Virus)2002, plus Norton Firewall on Windows XP Home. My subscription was due to expire shortly so I bought Norton Internet Security 2003 from a regular seller on ebay for £15 as it would be cheaper to upgrade than pay for a subscription renewal. The installation asked me to uninstall my existing Norton programs before installing 2003. The installation went smoothly and a new one year subscriprion was included. However......

After a couple of days I realised my DVD and CDRW drives were not reading disks and advice on this forum led me to suspect NIS. I uninstalled NIS 2003 through Contol Panel with no problems and my drives worked OK. I installed it again and lost the drives so I uninstalled again and the drives returned. I then belatedly followed -pops- advice and downloaded AVG and activated the XP firewall.

My point being that, although I still like Norton there was a conflict with my system, but two installs and uninstalls seem to have gone without any obvious proble..... aaaaargh!!!!....

ade.h 19:34 16 Sep 03

Norton isn't all bad. If you can get it working fine (and that does seem to be a big "if"!!) then it's the best firewall and AV around. Just don't anger it....

R4 19:56 16 Sep 03

I had simular problems when I upgraded to Norton internet Security 2003: However I got round it with a bit of work :--

i. Uninstall All Norton Products

ii. Edit Registry and remove any references to Norton products.

iii. Re install Norton Products:-- System Works then ...Ghost etc ... Without Antivirus.

vi. Reinstall Internet Security with AV and configure (quite a messy if you want Very high security)

You have to reboot your computer several times then run live Update until fully updated.

It then should be OK ... Best of Luck

the lone cloner 21:41 16 Sep 03

re norton you have to go to their home site to get proper instructions to remove it (ie) uninstall,you must ensure it is removed from the registry completely before you reinstall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…