Norton Internet security problems/settings

Murghalador 16:24 23 Jul 07

I have been unable to connect to the windows update site or to symantecs site. Eventually I turned off Norton internet security for 30 minutes and could hten connect to both sites.
Can someone please advise why this is happening? I haven't changed any of the settings in Norton but about 3 weeks ago I started having slow performance when connected to the internet and being unable to reach some sites.
I run XP SP2 and IE6 ( uninstalled IE7 because of slowness)

birdface 16:52 23 Jul 07

Turn off Microsoft automatic up-dates and see if your computer works any faster,And open Taskmanager, Processes. and see if there is any program using up your Cpu.System Idle process should be showing about 97% and all the rest the remaining 3% between them.Now unfortunately everytime I hear of someone with problems and they have Norton Installed.I automatically think,Well thats the problem,If you cant get it fixed as a last resort,Delete Norton i/s .Run Norton removal Tool, Then run C Cleaner, Then reinstall Norton.But just do that if everything else fails.

brundle 18:16 23 Jul 07

try click here
Don't turn off automatic updates except as a last resort.

Try Dialafix to tackle many update and secure site issues; click here

Disconnect from the net and disable Norton while Dialafix is running.

This can also be an issue with incorrect MTU size in your router or TCP/IP settings; sometimes your own PC, sometimes a server your information is routed through on its way across the 'net.

mfletch 18:44 23 Jul 07

Hi Make sure that Windows firewall is turned off if you are using Norton's firewall they will conflict with each other.

mfletch

Murghalador 17:24 24 Jul 07

Thank you all for your replies.
To cut a long story short I contacted Norton and they suggested I download the 2007 update. I did this and after installation I did a scan. This found some tracker cookies which the previous version hadn't. I don't suppose it caused the problem though.
Anyway, my PC is back to it's old self and I can connect to windows update without having to disable Norton.
And guese what, I have switched off automatic updates!

Once again thanks for your time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…