Norton Internet Security problem

3rdday 21:46 17 Jun 03

My PC (running XP Home) just crashed when there was some sort of problem with the CD drive. When I eventually sorted this out and started the PC again, I found that Norton Internet Security and Systemworks hadn't started up. What's more, they had disappeared from the list of services in msconfig, so I can't even set them to start up. And (yes, there's more) if I start up Internet Security it says it is disabled, but it won't let me enable it in the options, saying "Access denied. Only the Supervisor can view/change the options." Since it was me that installed the software in the first place and I was able to change the options before everything crashed, this is rather baffling. Help!! Symantec's support website doesn't seem to be working, either. At least Antivirus still seems to be going.

Granger 22:00 17 Jun 03

NIS does seem to struggle with WinXP users, not sure why. I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the best answer is to start again. If you can log on as another user, you may be able to do a better uninstall first. Sorry if you're on a dial-up, I know the updates are the real problem. If you do reinstall, make sure you install parental control/user accounts this time. The only other thing would be a restore, I think.

3rdday 22:25 17 Jun 03

For the first time ever on my PC, System Restore has worked! Everything is back to full working order now. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…