Norton Internet Security problem

g0slp 09:29 22 Nov 04

Running NAV/NIS 2003 on XP Home/SP2
Paid up until 6/05.

For some reason the Intrusion Detection function has turned itself off & won't allow me to activate it. I keep getting the message 'failed to save setting. Please check that your Windows account is not restricted'.

I'm logged on as supervisor.

I can't seem to get the online help to open either, although the help dialogue opens OK. I haven't found anything to assist in it.

I'm sure that I'm missing something glaringly obvious, but what?

Thanks in advance.

g0slp 09:38 22 Nov 04

Symantec site now opens; appears that 2003 is not supported any more, even though they've got a sub until June 05 out of me...

Thoughts, anyone?

Carafaraday 09:47 22 Nov 04

It would seem that Norton expects you to buy the new version each year rather than renew an old version. I got 2005 for under £25 which worked out about as cheap as renewing. I have seen other posts about older versions not being supported and I suspect many people on this forum will advise you to go for one of the free AVs. I'm really not sure why I didn't do so myself!

g0slp 09:51 22 Nov 04

It's a bit rich taking cash for updating, then withdrawing support without any notification though, isn't it?

I've emailed them, but not holding my breath :-(

Pete1 10:36 22 Nov 04

I had exactly the same message recently, even though I am on NAV/NIS 2004 running on XP home with subscription till 02/05.

I logged onto Live Update site, and there was an update for Intrusion Detection Signatures, once downloaded all system functions were ok.

I was disappointed that Norton do not generate any warning message or even a red cross on the icon to indicate that there is a problem with part of the system.

Sans le Sou 11:48 22 Nov 04

Agree with action suggested by Pete1

Sans le Sou 11:51 22 Nov 04

You can still get the updates, its just the technical support that has been withdrawn, never thought it was that good anyway.

g0slp 12:14 22 Nov 04

Thanks for responses folks; the problem is that I can't activate the thing though...

GaT7 13:32 22 Nov 04

Try this click here=. Will not be surprised if you have to reinstall NIS. Good luck, G

PS - I'm using NIS2003. The subscription runs out next month. Going to go in for the free AV & firewall programs. Have had enough problems uninstalling/reinstalling NIS2003 each time there's a problem.

GaT7 13:37 22 Nov 04

If you have more problems try searching their knowledgebase at click here. That's how I found the above link (& solutions for all MY Norton poblems). G

g0slp 13:40 22 Nov 04

Thanks for links - got to go out now, but will post back later.

Mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…