Norton Internet security and antivirus

kingussie 17:52 29 Apr 04

I have the above loaded on my Laptop which I bought 5months ago in the states. This is due to expire on the 31st May and I am being urged by Norton to download their latest version. Question
Is this the best way and product and what about buying it locally,which also comes with backup disc. Also any ideas on Mcaffee(spelling)

Diodorus Siculus 17:55 29 Apr 04

You can buy NAV here for about £25 or so - or go with one of the many free alternatives. Avast, Sygate and MailWasher are a good combination.

HXP 18:34 29 Apr 04

Try I got the entire Norton internet security suite for £20.They seem to do regular deals and it's a case of visiting the site and looking for the deals at that time - often on the 'today only' page.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:42 29 Apr 04

There is no need whatsoever to pay for a firewall and an AV. AVG (free), used by many members here and as good if not better than here Your chances of being hacked are remote in the extreme but Outpost from click here is a handy firewall with a small footprint. It will give you more 'protection' than you will ever need. There is no sensible reason to pay for either application.

palinka 18:51 29 Apr 04

I agree totally with GANDALF <|:-)> There is NO NEED to pay for AV etc. I've used McAfee and Norton in the past and now use AVG which I'm completely satisfied with.
If you are of the "if I've paid it must be better" school, and so really want to pay I would stick with Norton; McAfee is too complicated for its own good - I found it totally incomprehensible ; it wouldn't do what I wanted it to do, insisting instead on doing things its own way.
But best of all is AVG: controllable; understandable; and FREE, forever.

kingussie 22:20 29 Apr 04

Thanks for your input.Question..How and when would I make the changeover as running two AV together is likely to cause problems.What happens when the Norton runs out? Does it simply stop working.Will I not need a firewall as well.

3rdday 22:38 29 Apr 04

I've been running Norton Internet Security 2002 and have been pretty happy with it. However, my year's subscription will soon run out. Having children I need the parental controls that the Internet Security suite offers. WH Smith are doing Mcafee Internet Security for £25 at the moment, which looks tempting. Having read users' reviews on Amazon of both the Norton and Mcafee Internet Security products, it seems a good number of people have had problems with the latest versions of each, so I'm undecided which to buy. Does anyone have any experience of which is best (and most problem free?)

I have been running the Norton suite for a few months with no problem at all and when the years updates run out ,I will buy the latest on Ebay,as it is far cheaper and is genuine,although AVG is a very good AV and free, plus you get free updates.If you need a free firewall ,then you cant go too far wrong with Zone Alarm or Kerio or Argentum they are all good.You were talking about Mcafee ,from the problems that my friend is having with it ,he is pulling all his hair out trying to configure it properly.

johnnyrocker 23:54 29 Apr 04

sorry to say norton invariably complicates more matters than it solves it crawls all over ones machine and slows it down and just recently some updates have thrown up a multitude of e mail probs and frankly as posted earlier avg no probs and peace of mind.

ted bear 00:49 30 Apr 04

i have used norton internet security for a few years now. never had a problem until i tried the 2004 version - its too big eats memory takes away any feeling of control over your system and has no flexibility at all compaired to the older versions. i think i may try a change to avg. my only worry/query is does it get updated as often as norton av? i already prefer zone alarm as a firewall so would have no problems there. i just used nortons as a package.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:17 30 Apr 04

'i think i may try a change to avg. my only worry/query is does it get updated as often as Norton av?'...Like Norton AVG is updated every time there is a virus alert. I email alerts to over 60 people now, they have all been using AVG for 3 months to 3 years and no one has had a virus. I think this speaks for itself. Even if you do get a virus they are easy to remove and will not cause damage of biblical proportions; there are many exaggerated media stories about viruses and home computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…