Norton Internet Security advice

ray27 09:51 29 May 04

I have had a lot of sound advice by using this forum and I am asking for more advice again.

I have on my system Norton System Works 2003 which includes Virus protection which is updated on a regular basis.

My question is, I have been sent by my PC supplier an offer to buy Norton Internet Security at a reduced price £24.99 if I took up their offer would I be able to run both programs on my system?.

As Internet Security seems to have a better firewall than Windows XP I thought it would be advisable to have this installed.

I am not sure if the two Norton Virus protectors would conflict with one and other.

I have tried to contact Norton Symantec via e-mail but without any success so I am turning to you chaps and gal's once again

Many thanks for any advice

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:00 29 May 04

Use a free firewall if you fell that you need one, I'm sure that someone will post a list. There is NO need to pay for AV or firewall applications.

G

MartinT-B 10:16 29 May 04

There is a telephone numbr for UK resisdents to talk to Symantec. It takes a LOT of searaching to find it.

Symantec United Kingdom

Symantec (UK) Ltd.

Hines Meadow

St. Cloud Way

Maidenhead

Berkshire

SL6 8XB

tel +44 (0) 1628 592 222

fax +44 (0)1628 592 393

Web Site: click here

Double spaced 'cos I think that the forum still puts it in para form.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:22 29 May 04
  johnsims 10:33 29 May 04

Point one. They will not run together, you would need to uninstall your current version.

Point two. Norton stuff tends to take over and is IMHO to be avoided

Point three. Gandalf is 100% correct. Free AV and Firewalls available all over. AVG, sygate, Zone Alarm etc etc. AVG is great. Z A is also great, just do not put Zone Alarm 5 on your machine until they iron out the bugs, find a 4.5 build from the net or a cover cd.

MartinT-B 10:44 29 May 04

4.5 is still available from ZA click here

chugby 11:11 29 May 04

I upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2003 last year, previously had Norton System works 2002 including the anti-virus & firewall. Was able to keep the Systemworks and the internet security which actually merged with this. Not really an upgrade as you need to delete the previous anti-virus and firewall, was a bit tricky to sort out as you need to check all of the previous versions deleted (see Symantec website). You cant run two firewalls together. Have tried AVG and F-Secure antivirus but never really as happy with them.
Best Antivirus freeware according to recent PC utilities was AntiVir 6.21.09.20 at click here but not as good as paid versions.

ray27 13:59 29 May 04

Thanks for all the advice

If I do download one of the free firewalls do I have to disable the windows xp firwall or do they oprerate together?

many thanks ray

MartinT-B 14:12 29 May 04

disable it.

rule of thumb is that most firewalls hate each other!

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:31 29 May 04

You will not need the XP firewall if you download any other firewall.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…