norton internet security 2005 & windows updates

Lee007 13:10 07 Apr 05

Can anyone help with this problem?

I am unable to install windows updates since I have installed NIS 2005. I can access the update site and download the updates but when I click to install the updates nothing happens, just the box with "initialising updates appears". [similar things happen when I try to install any programs, but they do work when I disable the firewall - which I have already tried with the updates] I am fairly sure this is something to do with nortons as when I uninstalled it they all worked fine.

I have win xp pro with sp2

jbp1982 13:15 07 Apr 05

Pull the lead out of your modem, disable NIS2005 and install updates.

Lee007 13:24 07 Apr 05

Still getting to grips with NIS 2005, whats the best way to disable it? also forgot to mention I have ADSL broadband will this make any difference?

Lee007 13:30 07 Apr 05

still getting to grips with NIS 2005 whats the best way to disable it?

jbp1982 14:10 07 Apr 05

from what I remember, right click the system tray icon, select disable internet security, then choose how long.

Reason I said to pull plug on modem, is that you'll have no firewall, while its disabled.

I ditched NIS2005 for AVG free and sygate firewall, also free and I still have nine months left on Norton. Too many problems.

JBP

oldone 14:17 07 Apr 05

Do you ,by any chance, have two firewalls on at the same time - Norton & Windows. If so turn off Windows.

jbp1982 14:26 07 Apr 05

oldone, i doubt it, norton usually switches the windows firewall off.

oldone 18:06 07 Apr 05

My Norton firewall shows "on" when i'm running updates. If your Windows firewall is on then switch it off.

Lee007 12:22 11 Apr 05

Still had problems with NIS and installing the updates, but I did find a solution with your help.

I changed the internet security settings to manual [instead of load on startup], restarted windows and enabled windows firewall [which was not enabled - only 1 firewall was running] and when I tried to install the updates they worked with no problem.

Thanks for your help everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…