Norton Internet Security 2005 - why so slow?

Bling Bling 16:55 19 Aug 05

Hi all,

I'm suing Windows XP Pro and until yesterday, I was using Norton Internet Security 2003 (Antivirus and Personal Firewall). It was all generally okay, but it seemed to take a while to load on startup and had a couple of other little problems.

Rather than re-install NIS 2003, I decided to upgrade and bought NIS 2005, thinking that the latest release might offer more features and improved performance. After some struggle getting it to actually install (there were conflicts with files from my previous version), I managed to completely remove the old version and get the new version up and running, and updated it with latest virus definitions etc.

The trouble is, this new version is even slower to start than the previous one! It seems to be very resource hungry, and takes about 5 minutes to even display the taskbar icon at startup, then continues to access the hard drive for several minutes more, which completely kills my computer until it's loaded up.

I've disabled the automatic liveupdate feature and the anti-spam feature (I dont need it), but there's still no improvement. Does anyone know how to speed this up? There are no other programs loading at startup other than windows components.

Otherwise, can anyone recommend a better package? I've heard of McAffee and Kaspersky, but I really don't know if they're any good as I've always used Norton.

VoG II 16:59 19 Aug 05

Firewall: ZoneAlarm click here

Anti-virus: AVG click here

AntiSpyware click here

Diodorus Siculus 17:01 19 Aug 05

There are free alternatives available to you which are widely used by forum members

Avast antivirus from click here

Sygate Personal Firewall click here

These will do more than enough to keep you safe - Symantec offer a refund on its products if you decide you don't like them.

Joe R 17:01 19 Aug 05

Bling Bling,

Norton is the most resource hungry, application, it has ever been my misfortune to use.

There are a lot of free alternatives.

A/V click here click here firewall. click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:16 19 Aug 05

There is no advantage whatsoever in home users paying for security programmes.

G

Gaz 25 02:40 20 Aug 05

... is because it's norton a good enough answer?

Kaspersky, Panda, Trend, McAfee all have a tendency to be slow, unless you use the enterprise editions.

NOD32 is pretty quick and offers very good detection.

AVG, well, it's ok, considering it;s free but I'd prefer Avast for Free antivirus.

Andsome 07:44 20 Aug 05

I used Norton 2003, until when I tried to renew my subscription recently, and was advised that I could have all the update downloads, but no longer qualified for support. This is disgusting for such a new program. I now use Nod 32. It is EXCELLENT, and is the only AV program to score 100% detection rate EVERY year. Telephone as well as e-mail support is available in the UK for as long as you subscribe. At the moment I use Sygate firewall, another excellent program. Sometime later next year, a Nod update will include a firewall at no extra cost. It is cheaper to take a three year subscription. The people on the telephone helpline could not be more helpful.

citadel 10:03 20 Aug 05

I am using xp and norton 2005 and it loads up quickly. I can play modern games that use a lot of resorces and can leave norton and mirosoft processes running while playing with no slowdown.

Bling Bling 17:06 20 Aug 05

Thanks so much for all the advice. I think NIS 2005 is definitely coming off my computer now. Perhaps this product is geared towards a higher spec machine, but 1.4ghz processor and 256mb of ram is plenty in my opinion.

I used to use ZoneAlarm back when I had dial-up and it always did a good job, so I think I'll give that a try, and i'll check out some of the other software people have recommended for anti-virus.

Symantec need to get their act together...

Diodorus Siculus 17:12 20 Aug 05

Don't forget to get in touch with them and get a refund :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…