Norton Internet Security 2004

Joannie 00:19 30 Mar 04

I run Windows ME and had old version of Norton on. I uninstalled it and got the new one and i cant get it to work keeps saying "The setup has detected that a previous install or uninstall has completed but requires a restart" I have done this a few times and the messages still keeps coming on.

hugh-265156 00:23 30 Mar 04
  Joannie 00:27 30 Mar 04

Thanks but i been on there and done what it says with no joy

hugh-265156 00:39 30 Mar 04

try the uninstaller:

how to uninstall previous versions maybe click here click here

Joannie 01:08 30 Mar 04

Yes tried the uninstaller....not worked....god im in a mess !!

Marty1 16:40 30 Mar 04

bump

rickimalone 17:05 30 Mar 04

The main reason for this happening is the failed unistallation of the previous version, if you can re-install the previous version then un-install it, then put in NIS2004.

If you can't re-install it make sure that it has not left it's self in the registry keys, if so delete them and all common/shared files and then you should have Joy.

I had exactly the same problem and it took about two days to solve using the symantec online web assistance it is very much trail and error and learn as you go but stick with it and you should come good.

Try the automatic assistantclick here

good luck

Joannie 00:37 01 Apr 04

Still cant install NIS I deleted the old one from registry and done everything it says on the symantec site.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 00:39 01 Apr 04

Try putting old one back in then uninstall it again.I have Norton 2003 and never used it dont even know if it still valid.

Regards.

Joannie 00:42 01 Apr 04

Done that as well.....it was a really old one that i got with the computer :(

hugh-265156 01:42 01 Apr 04

ok this might be a bit of a long shot as you have followed symantecs instructions im not at all sure whats going on but this is what i would try now if it were me:

1.uninstall all versions of norton/symantec software etc via add remove progs.as you would.

2.clear your temp internet files in internet explorer: tools/internet options/general/temporary internet files delete cookies,delete files,all offline content etc.

3.run disk clean up: start/my computer/right click your hard disk/properties/general/disk cleanup.

this does an even better job in my opinion click here

4.run a registry cleaner like regseeker click here click "clean the registry" and when it finishes searching,right click anywhere on the list and delete all that is found.

5.restart your computer and try to install norton now.

may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…