Norton Internet Security 2003 on XP

JIps 13:15 09 Sep 04

I've had Norton Internet Security on a windows 98 machine since and it always appeared to work fine. This year we bought a new windows XP Home machine and I transferred the Norton over. Sometimes Norton fails to start, but when it does start all the banner ads that used to be blocked are shown, and when I try my 10 year olds access there is no parental control going on at all. All the settings say that these things should be done but it just aint so. I've tried using ad-aware to remove spyware but that makes no difference.

anyone have any ideas?
(sometimes when it doesn't start it can be kicked off in the services window - does anyone know what should be running)?

david.h 15:16 09 Sep 04

I use NIS 2003 [about to expire, 2005 comes out on 1/10/04]I have no problem running it with xp pro. I also use spybot,adaware,spywareblaster all work ok together. Is your copy still in the 12 month period If so it might not have installed correctly so delete it and reinstall but NOT if the 12 month period is over as you will not get your updates.

JIps 15:37 09 Sep 04

I'm still subscribed but email and telephone support has been stopped for that version. I tried uninstall/ reinstall but that made no difference at all. I'm wondering if something is conflicting with the service startup.

Sans le Sou 16:03 09 Sep 04

I have NIS 2003 on 2 computers at home. On my Athlon 64 3400 with 1 Gig of memory it runs without any problems and the system hardly notices it is present, however on my wifes 1.1 Celeron with 256 Mb of memory it is a right pain in the derrier with symptoms akin to yours. Both systems are running XP home and my wife only has a printer, Draw plus 6.0 and works suite installed. It may be a memory thing as she only had 128Mb on when NIS was first installed and it took about 5 minutes to boot up, I installed another 128Mb stick and it now bootsa up quicker but not always with NIS running.

CHAIRLEG 22:31 09 Sep 04

Don't know if this makes any difference but on my xphome in properties it is running in compatibility mode for windows 95.

JIps 22:37 09 Sep 04

Narrowing the problem down to Symantec proxy service and scriptblocking service not running. If I start these from services and providing it starts the banners are blocked and parental controls loads.

I'm sure that its not Pc power, we went for a fairly beefy machine as I'm too lazy to upgrade often.

JIps 22:38 09 Sep 04

Narrowing the problem down to Symantec proxy service and scriptblocking service not running. If I start these from services and providing it starts the banners are blocked and parental controls loads.

I'm sure that its not Pc power, we went for a fairly beefy machine as I'm too lazy to upgrade often.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…