Norton Internet Security 2003 leaving ports open

John Ba 19:24 13 Apr 04

Despite running a fully updated version of NIS 2003 a port scan reveals that ports 23, 80, 1025 and possibly 1026 are open. In addition the computer is responding to being 'pinged'.

I run Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy to remove spyware and have run three additional online virus removers without finding any viruses or trojan horses.

Does anyone know what causes these ports, which NIS should force to operating under stealth mode, to be open? And how can I stop it?

(The operating system is Windows XP Pro).

Lozzy 20:21 13 Apr 04

I take it you ran the scan via symantec's web sit.. If yes, then re run the scan by click here as symantec admits that there is a fault on the scan which says that these ports are open when in fact there not.

John Ba 22:26 13 Apr 04

Thanks. I was using the Symantec web site scan.

However, running the linked Sygate web scan suggests that ports 23 and 8080 are open and that ports 20, 21, 22, 25, 53, 59, 79, 80, 110, 113, 139, 443, 445, 1080 and 30189 are all closed but not in steath mode.

I addition the GRC Shields UP web scan reveals that ports 1025 and 1026 are open.

It seems, therefore, that Norton Internet Security is almost certainly leaving my computer very vulnerable to attack.

Any suggestions as to the cause of this or any possible solution?

VoG II 22:31 13 Apr 04

Try turning off Windows Messenger Service click here

keenan 23:22 13 Apr 04

Running NIS2003 and sygate scan reports all ports 'blocked & stealthed'.

In NIS firewall options , under 'Advanced security settings' check you have a tick in'Stealth blocked ports'.

John Ba 23:44 13 Apr 04

Thanks. I've switched off the Messenger Service and my ports are still open/in non-stealth mode.

The instructions, which I've followed, are to switch off the Messenger Service not Windows Messenger. I do note that Norton Internet Security alerts me to C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe trying to access the internet as soon as I switch on my computer. This IS related to Windows Messenger and occurs even though I've selected the program not to run in the background or start up when Office XP is launched.

Does this throw any light on the open ports?

John Ba 23:49 13 Apr 04

Thanks. But the Stealth Blocked Ports option was already selected.

OU812 23:30 15 Apr 04

Hello John

I might be able to help

Firstly re MS messenger still running, go to Options Norton Anti Virus and then to Instant Messenger, Remove the tick from the box against MSN Instant messenger and that should sort your problem with messenger still running in the background (for reference this solution comes from a link from the PC Pitstop site which I use periodically at click here)

With respect to Open Ports when using (as I do) NIS2003, I posted a thread recently which you might want to take a look at on the subject

click here

Gaz 25 00:07 16 Apr 04

There are instructions on symantecs support website on how to stealth individual ports.

Close a port range if you wish.

This was an update to Symantec firewalls that did this.

John Ba 17:03 16 Apr 04

OU812
Like you I've had ports which have closed up following scans. I'm also fairly sure that when I first installed NIS 2003 the Symantec scan gave me the all clear. So the problem could be either an undetected virus or as a result of an incompatible update.

I'm a little worried about switching off the scanning of messages from MSN Instant Messenger. Won't this just leave that route open for viruses?

Gaz 25
Thanks for guiding me to the Symantec Support Website to switch off ports. This seems quite complex given the number of ports which are open and that my computer is also 'pingable'.

Conclusion
In addition, my NIS 2003 has now decided (following a system restore which was then undone) not to automatically switch on the firewall and intruder detection. I think therefore that I may have a virus of some sort and will go for the nuclear option of reinstalling Windows XP and upgrading to NIS 2004 early next week. I'll keep you posted as to whether this sorts all the problems.

hugh-265156 17:16 16 Apr 04

i would save time and money by not reinstalling windows and instead upgrading to nis2004 try installing free avg and free zonealarm.click here click here both are easy to set up and use.no nonsense with them.

also get spybot and adaware click here click here also free and to top it off also get spywareblaster click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017