Norton GoBack and Win 98 Recovery

sallyleslie 20:09 25 May 05

I wanted to restore my second PC which is a Dell Win 98 machine. Unfortunately despite opting for a full reformat and re-install of Win 98 the machine locks up on rebooting at the GoBack screen. It then continually loops back to the opening Goback screen and despite attempts to circumvent it I cannot get rid of it.

Has anyone had this problem and know a solution please?

Cheers,

Sally

TomG 20:54 25 May 05

When you get to the go back screen you should get a prompt which lets you into the go back setup/control menu. Select disable go back (or something similar) - you will get a warning that you will loose all the restore points (or something like that) which you can ignore as you are reinstalling 98

sallyleslie 20:58 25 May 05

Thanks for that Tom. Have tried it but of course because I have reformatted the drive it can't find the GoBack files in order to disable it!

Regards,

Sally

TomG 21:01 25 May 05

If you have refomatted the drivehow if Go Back still there?

woodchip 21:07 25 May 05

Goback is not a Imaging Program, It's only like a Restore program when windows is running and it's got a problem. So you can go back to a date when the computer worked OK

sallyleslie 21:20 25 May 05

Quite - why is GoBack still there or at least why is a remnant still there which prevents Windows booting? And more to the point how do I get rid of it from this point.

Believe me if I could make GoBack open and revert the drive I would but that is not an option.

Cheers

Sally

TomG 21:23 25 May 05

describe how you carried out the format

sallyleslie 21:26 25 May 05

V lazily! Stuffed in Dell Recovery Disk and chose reformat and re-install option! I have cleaned up the old machine that way before with GoBack already installed so had no reason to believe it wouldn't work again. It is my back-up PC but comes in useful if I want to use some old pre-XP hardware for a specific task like using my old digital recorder.

TomG 21:33 25 May 05

should have worked - can you get into DOS

sallyleslie 21:40 25 May 05

Yes - can't Quite remember how I did it but I could get it to that point with a bit of fiddling

TomG 21:48 25 May 05

usually you use a startup disk

This is the bit I'm a bit hazy on - you will have to use dos commands to find the norton files and delete them - i presume you have tried more than once to restore?

What about if you formatted the drive using FDisk could you use the restore disk? I suppose you must be able - what if you had to have a new disk?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…